We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel help

South Pacific
Level Contributor
40 posts
Hotel help

Hi,

We get into Calgary at 1130pm and we are picking up a rental car at 1200pm the next day near the Calgary tower.

We need a hotel with a laundry as we don't have access to one for 9 days prior and will need to do some!!

Should we stay at a hotel near the airport or downtown near the car rental place? It seems very expensive downtown but its closer to shops etc as we will want to get some snacks for our trip to Banff. As there is 6 of us, we will probably need two taxi's. Will we be able to get public transport downtown or will it be by taxi? I don't really want to spend $100 on taxi's.

Thanks

Kaye

4 replies to this topic
calgary
Level Contributor
6,247 posts
22 reviews
1. Re: Hotel help

How much are you saving by picking up a car downtown vs the airport? You will need two taxis to get downtown at about $50 per car and your chances of finding a laundry in the hotel are probably better out by the airport.

What kind of vehicle are you getting that will fit six people and luggage?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
51 reviews
2. Re: Hotel help

The Hilton Garden Inn near the corner of 4th St and 7th Ave SE has a coin operated laundry. Most of the other downtown hotels tend to be the type that offer a laundry service rather than do-it-yourself.

Travelling downtown at that hour of the night will be laborious and expensive (although there is the option of Uber) You are better staying at an Airport hotel (check for laundry, but they are all mid-range chains that usually offer that sort of thing) Not sure the savings of collecting down town will be worth it - but its up to you.

yyc.com/en-us/…groundtransportation.aspx

South Pacific
Level Contributor
40 posts
3. Re: Hotel help

Thanks, we are getting a 7 seater van with room for 5 suitcases - we are sharing so not one each. The price difference was minimum $200 up to $400 between downtown and airport.

I couldn't find a lot of places with laundries :( I did find a unit on air bnb that is reasonably priced and not far from downtown with laundry so I may have to try booking that if not I will stay at the hilton. I will look at uber when we get there as well.

Kaye

Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
4. Re: Hotel help

Id stay at an airport hotel with laundry service and free airport shuttle and book car rental with Enterprise Car rental company as they will pick you up for free at your hotel to pick up your car.

Reply to: Hotel help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted