We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire Calgary to Anchorage

Cwmbran, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
7 reviews
Car hire Calgary to Anchorage

Does anyone know of a car rental company that will allow us to pick up car at Calgary airport and drop off in Anchorage?

12 replies to this topic
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
6,341 posts
22 reviews
1. Re: Car hire Calgary to Anchorage

Nope. You are not going to find any company that will allow you to pick up a car and drop it that far away in a different country.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
20,263 posts
28 reviews
2. Re: Car hire Calgary to Anchorage

HI

You can get a Whitehorse Yukon to Anchorage one way rental with GoNorth - i was checking today and they have a few units left for this summer.

Air Canada and Air North flies to Whitehorse

you can also get a Seattle to Anchorage one way but there is no Alberta or BC options.

Cwmbran, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Car hire Calgary to Anchorage

Thanks for the info. Is there somewhere near the border that I can swap cars, so hire one in Calgary to ? And then ? To Anchorage.

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,071 posts
34 reviews
4. Re: Car hire Calgary to Anchorage

No there aren’t.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
32,707 posts
62 reviews
5. Re: Car hire Calgary to Anchorage

How many weeks do you have for this drive? Calgary to Anchorage is comparable to Stockholm to Lisbon (Calgary to Anchorage is 3,800 km, Stockholm to Lisbon is 3, 600km). If you fly to Whitehorse, then you can play with a northern route a bit that gets you into some of the areas of interest in the north and then loops you around to Anchorage depending on which way you want to come at it (land or sea).

You CAN get a one way from Calgary to Vancouver, then either board a cruise in Vancouver or a ferry in Belingham and get to Anchorage that way, then do another car rental on arrival in Anchorage.

You can also get one way RV rentals at key points in the season where the suppliers need to move RVs from the lower 48 up to Alaska at the start of their summer tourist season and then again the other way at the end.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
20,263 posts
28 reviews
6. Re: Car hire Calgary to Anchorage

hi

I think you need to do a lot of homework for such a trip because it is an adventure still and needs to be planned out to get the best out of going North. Even if you plan to just drive there with no sight seeing etc... you still have to carefully plan your stops as I heard from someone that did the trip last month "Just because there is a name on a map, it does not mean that there is anything there."

The whole area caters to the RV - camping and not so much to hard roof motels - sometimes finding a place to stay after 8-10 hrs of driving just to get there will have 1 motel with very low rating and it might be full with the next one 100 miles (150kms) away. So being able to sleep in a vehicle should be an option unless you carefully plan and reserve everything. There are no 4-5 stars along that route.

this is a good site to give you an idea bellsalaska.com/highway/…

and there is www.themilepost.com for the travel bible.

for a vehicle rental there is Fraserway RV rentals with a site in Edmonton that has van conversions fraserway.com/rentals/vehicles/van-conversion which you could drive to Whitehorse then swap once you get there for a one way unit that goes from Whitehorse to Anchorage. Fraserway and GoNorth has such units between Whitehorse and Anchorage.

Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
7. Re: Car hire Calgary to Anchorage

No car company would allow a one way rental that far away even if it was all in Canada. I think the best you could do is Vancouver and you will be paying a hefty oneway drop fee.

Cwmbran, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
7 reviews
8. Re: Car hire Calgary to Anchorage

Thanks all. Looks like I may have to buy a car for the trip

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
21,128 posts
113 reviews
9. Re: Car hire Calgary to Anchorage

You need to do a lot of research about that as well.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
2,053 posts
168 reviews
10. Re: Car hire Calgary to Anchorage

Greetings, I'm from Croesy!

Buying and insuring a car here without a permanent address is going to be a real problem too, as is trying to sell that vehicle in the US. Even taking a vehicle to a different province within Canada permanently is quite the procedure. What you don't want to do is to buy an old banger (You still use that word?) to make that journey, as you want something reliable. These roads are pretty remote, it's not like driving through the Beacons!

Reply to: Car hire Calgary to Anchorage
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Calgary
Recent Conversations