We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International to domestic flight connection in Calgary

4 posts
Save Topic
International to domestic flight connection in Calgary

I live in Canada and I'm in the process of planning my trip to Hawaii. For my flight back from Hawaii, I am planning to take the Air Canada flight Kahului-->Calgary-->Regina. The layover time in Calgary is 1 hr 15 min. I'm wondering if that's enough time for a layover, and what are the processes I need to go through there at the airport. I know that the Calgary airport has a new connections centre, does that allow me to avoid security check when connecting flights?

6 replies to this topic
Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,238 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: International to domestic flight connection in Calgary

We flew into YYC from Mexico in February with a connection to YVR. Had to go through Canadian Customs/Immigration. Pick up luggage, redrop it, then make our way over to domestic. They were still working on the airport at that time. There was a small shuttle running between the two terminals which we didn't even see until we had walked most of the way to domestic.

It was one of the most poorly signed transfers I've ever done and I've been in a lot of bad airports. Hopefully they've improved that aspect.

The only saving grace is we didn't need to do security again

Personally I'd want a minimum of 2 hours for a connection..what if your original flight is delayed?

Maybe someone has a more recent experience with the transfer process and possibly you can check your luggage through but you need to check with AC about that aspect.

Canada
Level Contributor
3,477 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: International to domestic flight connection in Calgary

I'm more troubled by the fact passengers didn't have to go through Security after having access to their checked luggage at Customs.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,996 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: International to domestic flight connection in Calgary

As far as I am aware if you are on an Air Canada flight the whole way, you will not have to reclaim your baggage, although you will do Immigration formalities. YYC is my home airport though, so I only know this from listening to the announcements when I arrive.

According to this...

yyc.com/en-us/…connectingatyyc.aspx

you can transfer along the secure connections corridor, which implies no further security checks.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,996 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: International to domestic flight connection in Calgary

Also look out for the red-jacketed, white cowboy hatted volunteers who are very friendly and knowledgeable. The airport might be badly signposted - again, I don't see that because I know where I am going - but there are new maps and boards, as well as the White Hatters.

4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: International to domestic flight connection in Calgary

Thanks to everyone for replying. Looks like I don't need to go through security again, that will save some time! I haven't bought my flight tickets yet. I do like the schedule of this itinerary the best, comparing to other tickets of that day. If I can't make to the second flight then I guess I will have to spend the night in Calgary.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,238 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: International to domestic flight connection in Calgary

To be fair the airport was under construction but the part that was finished, Customs/Immigration and the "Connections", was actually the most confusing! We had to go back and ask an immigration officer how we needed to exit for connections....and I'm usually a very observant and good sign/signage reader.

You may spend more than an overnight in Calgary LOL don't forget the airline obligation is to get you on the next flight that has AVAILABLE seating..which isn't sometimes the next flight....

and no white hat good guys there at 10pm.....

Edited: 31 July 2017, 18:12
Reply to: International to domestic flight connection in Calgary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Calgary