We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International to domestic flight connection in Calgary

4 posts
Save Topic
International to domestic flight connection in Calgary

I live in Canada and I'm in the process of planning my trip to Hawaii. For my flight back from Hawaii, I am planning to take the Air Canada flight Kahului-->Calgary-->Regina. The layover time in Calgary is 1 hr 15 min. I'm wondering if that's enough time for a layover, and what are the processes I need to go through there at the airport. I know that the Calgary airport has a new connections centre, does that allow me to avoid security check when connecting flights?

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Regina
Regina
Saskatchewan, Canada
15 replies to this topic
Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
13,337 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: International to domestic flight connection in Calgary

We flew into YYC from Mexico in February with a connection to YVR. Had to go through Canadian Customs/Immigration. Pick up luggage, redrop it, then make our way over to domestic. They were still working on the airport at that time. There was a small shuttle running between the two terminals which we didn't even see until we had walked most of the way to domestic.

It was one of the most poorly signed transfers I've ever done and I've been in a lot of bad airports. Hopefully they've improved that aspect.

The only saving grace is we didn't need to do security again

Personally I'd want a minimum of 2 hours for a connection..what if your original flight is delayed?

Maybe someone has a more recent experience with the transfer process and possibly you can check your luggage through but you need to check with AC about that aspect.

Mentioned in this post
Calgary Intl Airport
Calgary Intl Airport
Calgary, Canada
Canada
Level Contributor
4,796 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: International to domestic flight connection in Calgary

I'm more troubled by the fact passengers didn't have to go through Security after having access to their checked luggage at Customs.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,611 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: International to domestic flight connection in Calgary

As far as I am aware if you are on an Air Canada flight the whole way, you will not have to reclaim your baggage, although you will do Immigration formalities. YYC is my home airport though, so I only know this from listening to the announcements when I arrive.

According to this...

yyc.com/en-us/…connectingatyyc.aspx

you can transfer along the secure connections corridor, which implies no further security checks.

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Calgary Intl Airport
Calgary Intl Airport
Calgary, Canada
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,611 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: International to domestic flight connection in Calgary

Also look out for the red-jacketed, white cowboy hatted volunteers who are very friendly and knowledgeable. The airport might be badly signposted - again, I don't see that because I know where I am going - but there are new maps and boards, as well as the White Hatters.

4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: International to domestic flight connection in Calgary

Thanks to everyone for replying. Looks like I don't need to go through security again, that will save some time! I haven't bought my flight tickets yet. I do like the schedule of this itinerary the best, comparing to other tickets of that day. If I can't make to the second flight then I guess I will have to spend the night in Calgary.

Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,337 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: International to domestic flight connection in Calgary

To be fair the airport was under construction but the part that was finished, Customs/Immigration and the "Connections", was actually the most confusing! We had to go back and ask an immigration officer how we needed to exit for connections....and I'm usually a very observant and good sign/signage reader.

You may spend more than an overnight in Calgary LOL don't forget the airline obligation is to get you on the next flight that has AVAILABLE seating..which isn't sometimes the next flight....

and no white hat good guys there at 10pm.....

Edited: 31 July 2017, 18:12
Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: International to domestic flight connection in Calgary

When arriving at Calgary from abroad having passed through immigration and customs, is it necessary to pass through customs again prior to boarding the second flight to a Canadian destination

Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,337 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: International to domestic flight connection in Calgary

You will go through immigration and customs on arrival then pick up luggage, drop luggage again for domestic flight and proceed to gate for domestic flight. I do not believe a Canada has any pre-clearance immigration at foreign airports. You only do immigration/ customs once.

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: International to domestic flight connection in Calgary

If you have booked the whole journey on Air Canada on one ticket they will provide another flight uf their connection does not work. However myself when arriving from Hawaii I would prefer a longer connection to avoid the possible unknown length of a wait to get the next flight with seats available.

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Calgary. Alberta
Level Contributor
252 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: International to domestic flight connection in Calgary

It's quite a long walk now, the new YYC airport terminal is terrible. Regardless, though, I think your connection is doable as long as your Maui to Calgary flight is not too late. There never seem to be that bad of lineups at Customs these days when entering back into Canada as they have more than enough kiosks, then afterwards the line for a customs officer tends to be quite speedy. If your flight is more than a little bit late, though, you for sure run the risk of missing your connection. I don't go to Hawaii tons, once or twice a year, but in my experience the AC and WJ flights out of Hawaii back to Canada can be delayed, as they basically are doing a round trip, Canada to Hawaii, deplane, refuel, reload and go. So plenty of opportunity for delay based on the fact that the incoming flight is often late. What about a red-eye flight back to Vancouver, and connecting there, then you'd have more options in case of delay.

Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Canada
Canada
North America
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Reply to: International to domestic flight connection in Calgary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted