We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
276 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire

Hi All,

Looking to rent a small car from 05 August 2018 (sunday) till 10th August 2018 (Friday) we will probably fly out that night.

I have read that it can be cheaper to rent at other locations as oppose to the airport.

Things I am worried about it I like a all inclusive fee and know that it is what I pay and its done and dusted but any sites I have requested a quote does not include the insurance which is important for me, so basically I just want to book something online with the damage waiver and insurance that will be the total amount, and not have hidden costs when I get there.

I assume the Insurance is the most important part but no-where I can read what the insurance includes or excludes.

Anybody has places in mind for this and also being reasonable with their fees?and have rented a car before?

Thanks

Annie

8 replies to this topic
Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
14,944 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire

<< have read that it can be cheaper to rent at other locations as oppose to the airport.>>

Not nesassarlily so if you book through a foreign broker like rentalcars,com or a local version of the majors if you have them in SA, or even the majors themselves if you identify yourself as a foreigner, so get all inclusive quotes.

Note, in Canada it's difficult sometimes to get rates with CDW with zero excess, unlike the US, even as a foreigner. So you either live with it, top it up at pick up, or get a standalone coverage if your not covered elsewhere, like a Credit card, or own auto policy ( not usual if your not a North American).

Canadianaffair often get suggested here, but not sure if they are still excluding non Europeans with their new Avis contract?

You want to avoid booking through Canadian versions or Hotwire, Priceline etc. if they do not allow you to identify yourself as foreign, or you do not feel confident you know what you are doing with getting the required insurances like CDW/LDW and SLI/TPL etc

Edited: 28 July 2017, 11:00
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
276 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire

Valiantsontour - Thank you for you answer, I emailed Canadian Affair they got back to me and said I would be able to make a reservation with them, their rates seem fine for everything included about GBP 279 for the small car which is all the 2 of us will need, seems they have zero access, personal liability and damage waver and all-inclusive insurance which is perfect :), at least you do not have to worry there is exclusions when you get to pick up the car, thanks for the great recommendation.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
14,891 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire

I think the Canadian Affair deal that got changed was for the one way no drop off fee between Calgary and Vancouver that is only available to UK residents.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
931 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire

Book directly with the car rentak company, hertz avis, enterprise or other well documented companies

Go to the website for each company and you can enter different puck up locations

Insurance details can be confirmed on the websites

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
17,551 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire

cbaarch,

The Canadian Affair no drop fee deal is only available for holders of a European driving license, not just from the UK.

Rose Prairie...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Hire

You can get the local phone numbers for each of the rental companies on line...call them directly and they will tell you any requirements needed and can give accurate costs at that time... Another reliable Canadian owned and operated company that I prefer dealing with is Driving Force. They are just off of the airport and I find them usually cheaper then most other rental companies

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Hire

I have just booked a compact car with Hertz off airport premise today. The one listed as Hertz Horizon Auto Center. Hertz is having a Pay Now promotion, I think it ends on Aug 15th. For 12 day rental, the total cost is $187 if Pay Now, about $80 cheaper than pay later, if you are pretty darn sure there will be no possible cancellation. Of course, if I were to pick up at the airport, the quoted price is $500.

I have a couple of questions which I could not find in the Hertz website or other Trip Advisor forum:

1. Is compact car fit to be driven in Calgary/Banff/Jasper? It will be just me and my husband traveling Sept 14th - 25th. We would love to drive around parks on our own, so it's best to know now if we need to upgrade to a bigger car? Curious about the road elevation and the compact car engine capacity.

2. Are we allowed to drive pass B.C border line? I saw some nice AirBnB stay in Golden and Dunster but not sure if we will get in trouble if passed the border line. Again, we rent with Hertz Calgary. I will call the customer service agent if I do not get an answer here.

By the way, this is my very first post in Trip Advisor and would love to contribute more often in the near future!!

Thank you for all the great advice and guidance, guys! :-)

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Hire

@missy-enna, while some car rental companies may have restrictions on what borders you can and can't cross, I've never had a rental from Hertz in Calgary not allow me to take the car into BC. I suppose you should always read the fine print of what you booked, but I'd be extremely surprised if you were restricted on this.

A compact car will be just fine for travelling in Banff and Jasper. Choose your car based on the comfort and luggage space you desire, but don't worry about it not being able to handle the roads.

Reply to: Car Hire
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Calgary
Recent Conversations