We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Groceries and dry ice?

Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Groceries and dry ice?

Heading into Calgary tomorrow morning from Medicine Hat on our way to Banff. Looking to stock up on groceries (particularly, meat and fruit/veggies) and purchase dry ice to keep it frozen. Any suggestions on where to buy all of the above en route? Thanks!

14 replies to this topic
Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
14,872 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Groceries and dry ice?

you can get it all in Canmore or Banff so refrigeration is not needed other then regular ice to keep it cool if you are going to make lots of stops before your destination.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,411 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Groceries and dry ice?

Have never seen dry ice available ... is this a "thing"? When I do a Costco run, heading home with three coolers full of meat and cheese, I always just buy a bag of ice at a gas station.

Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Groceries and dry ice?

We have used dry ice every year we go camping in the states- it will keep our meat frozen for a week+ with no need for ice, works out very nice when camping:) We will be starting in Banff and making our way up to Jasper over the next 16 days, which is why I was planning on stocking up. I saw on a previous thread, someone had mentioned stopping in Canmore, which we can do too (we'll probably still stop at Costco in Calgary). Was hoping to find the place with the best prices:) Thanks!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,257 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Groceries and dry ice?

Hmmm, I too have never heard of anyone using dry ice (and I thought I've seen almost everything with my camping experience). Learned something new I guess?

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
3,395 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Groceries and dry ice?

I've neve seen dry ice for purchase in Canada. You might have to just use the regular wet stuff.

Edited: 25 July 2017, 14:59
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Groceries and dry ice?

We found it at Praxair! Only place in Calgary that sells it:) Meat has been frozen for a few days now!! Thanks all:)

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
929 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Groceries and dry ice?

Never used dry ice, is it really worth the trouble of going out of your way to get it

I do agree that Costco will have better prices but do you really want to buy sych large quantities

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
3,395 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Groceries and dry ice?

Terry E.

It's very common for folks who like in a rural community to buy large quantities of items. The only poster who mentioned Costco was a local from Jasper, who likely hits a big Costco once a month because they can get better deals for their families, than are available in their small rural store. Living rurally you must be somewhat more stocked up. It's worth the effort for those folks to drive a couple of hours each way once every month or two. The OP was not asking about Costco.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Groceries and dry ice?

Terry E - from the post above yours, #6, it seems the OP did find what they were looking for and it was worth their while... do try to read the responses before posting.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,711 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Groceries and dry ice?

In Alberta dry ice is legally considered a Dangerous Good with requirements for handling it and transporting it, along with documentation in some cases.

https:/…dryice.pdf

From a Calgary compliance website: Dry ice when transported by any mode must be in packaging designed and constructed to permit the release of carbon dioxide gas and to prevent build-up of pressure that could rupture the packaging.

Dry ice can instantly cause frostbite to skin, can explode and can cause asphyxiation under some conditions unless handled properly.

You can't dispose of it down any plumbing, you can't put it in the garbage, you can't abandon it somewhere. It has to be allowed to release into gas until it is done.

I hope you will be keeping a good eye on it, OP, because you will be in campsites where there will be families who will have absolutely no idea that someone "next door" has dry ice, not bags of ice.

Reply to: Groceries and dry ice?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Calgary
Recent Conversations