We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Icefields Parkway - Signage for Viewpoints

Baytown
Level Contributor
126 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Icefields Parkway - Signage for Viewpoints

Is there good signage on the Icefield Parkway (Hwy 93) for the following Stopping points?

Bow Lake

Bow Summit

Howse River view point

Weeping Wall

Parker Ridge

Wilcox Pass

GPS via Iphones will probably be limited at best some times, so just wanted to make sure we can find these stopping points via signage! I don't want to miss anything! Any with all the crowds and 2 cars traveling together, won't be easy to turn around if we do!

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Bow Lake
Bow Lake
395 Reviews
Banff National Park, Canada
Bow Summit
Bow Summit
50 Reviews
Lake Louise and Icefield Parkway...
6 Reviews
US$132 per adult
Free Cancellation
Jasper to Lake Louise One-Way Tour
2 Reviews
US$195 per adult
Free Cancellation
Jasper to Banff One-Way Tour
12 Reviews
US$200 per adult
Free Cancellation
6 replies to this topic
Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
18,990 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Icefields Parkway - Signage for Viewpoints

GPS works all the time the signal is off satellites so does not rely on cell towers to work. You do not need DATA for it to work look at maps.me for a GPS app.

this is what you see along the way; it is wide open country https://flic.kr/s/aHsjYkPiLx

and one idea it to drive all the way to the Columbia Icefields first and work your way back.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
23,904 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Icefields Parkway - Signage for Viewpoints

Lots of signs ... follow the hordes.

You can print off an Icefields Parkway map/guide from the Parks Canada website:

https:/…glaciers-icefields

Mentioned in this post
Icefields Parkway
Icefields Parkway
1,529 Reviews
Canada
Canada
North America
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
31,298 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Icefields Parkway - Signage for Viewpoints

Google Streetview is your friend. Find the place on the map, drop down into streetview using the little yellow figure in the lower right corner and TaDA!!! Have a look at all the street signs for yourself. I **always** do this for our trips, so that I recognize turns when we get there.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
856 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Icefields Parkway - Signage for Viewpoints

Our first visit to the Rockies was so amazing and even though I researched and planned and asked questions here and went on google maps it really didn't prepare me for the beauty that is the Icefield Parkway. I think you are making it harder than it needs to be. :-) We would drive along and the next beautiful overlook would appear and we'd stop. I realize you want to do certain things but be flexible and just enjoy the beautiful scenery unfolding before you. Have a fabulous trip!

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
21,290 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Icefields Parkway - Signage for Viewpoints

There is good signage for all of those, except perhaps the Weeping Wall, which is just a small pull-off on the other side of the road from the cliff. Here is the Weeping Wall pull-off: https://goo.gl/maps/QNWco5c8cHt There is a dry toilet there and a sign pointing at the wall; that's about it. In winter, it's a popular ice-climbing spot (hence the need for the toilet).

Here is an example of the signage; this is the one for Bow Summit. However, I note this google streetview photo was taken in 2012 and is showing the older style of signage. Parks Canada has done a project over the past couple of years to replace all those old green & yellow signs with new, much easier to read green and white ones. https://goo.gl/maps/f6j65XbiKHD2 I saw the google camera driving around Jasper a few weeks ago, maybe they'll be updating the streetview imagery soon.

Mentioned in this post
Bow Summit
Bow Summit
50 Reviews
Canada
Canada
North America
Jasper
Jasper
Jasper National Park, Canada
Atlanta, Ga
Level Contributor
94 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Icefields Parkway - Signage for Viewpoints

We used the GyPSy App for the Icefields Parkway. Not only did it give us details of when and where to stop, it also gave a ton of interesting information. Our entire family, including teens ages 14 and 16 loved using the app. We ended up stopping at Horseshoe Lake and Valley of Five Lakes which were not our list of what to do because of the info given on the app.

Mentioned in this post
Icefields Parkway
Icefields Parkway
1,529 Reviews
Reply to: Icefields Parkway - Signage for Viewpoints
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted