We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting Gas in Lake Louise Area vs Golden Area

Baytown
Level Contributor
126 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Getting Gas in Lake Louise Area vs Golden Area

I understand from a fellow trip advisor that gas is cheaper in Lake Louise vs Golden (where we're staying). Are there long waiting lines for gas in LL area? As much as I'd love to save money on gas prices, time is more valuable to us than gas prices (unless of course the difference is outrageous).

Can someone suggest best location in LL area for both pricing and convenience? I know we're going to be dealing with major crowds the entire vacation (July 14 thru July 20)

Thank you!

5 replies to this topic
Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
19,639 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting Gas in Lake Louise Area vs Golden Area

get www.gasbuddy.com or the app for your phone to find out what the prices are going to be that day.

you can even check out Canmore as there are lots of gas stations along the highway.

Edited: 04 July 2018, 15:40
Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,881 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting Gas in Lake Louise Area vs Golden Area

In Lake Louise there are two gas stations. They are on the same road ( Village Road - turn right at the first main intersection in the village after you come off the highway), within sight of each other. Both will have their prices posted. And yes, there tend to be lines in the morning.

Edited: 04 July 2018, 16:47
Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,452 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting Gas in Lake Louise Area vs Golden Area

Golden is in BC, and Lake Louise in Alberta, provincial taxes will be a big part of the price difference.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
21,689 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting Gas in Lake Louise Area vs Golden Area

I think those are my posts you've been reading. ;-) As I mentioned, on June 7th, gas in LL was $1.289 (at the Petro Canada ... gasbuddy said it was more expensive at the Husky there ($1.349, I think, but it is not located as conveniently so we did not check). In Golden is was $1.429. (At The Crossing, it was $1.999). We did the same trip again on June 25th (we have family in Golden now, so are visiting there quite often), and again, the price differentials were similar. I was a bit worried it would be super busy, but we hit LL village at about 1 pm, and it wasn't bad at all... we had a couple of minutes' wait before we could pull up to a pump (which also normally happens to us at home in Jasper in the summer, and there are four gas stations here.)

If you can avoid fuelling up first thing in the morning or late in the afternoon (when everyone else is doing it), it shouldn't be too bad.

I don't recall seeing the prices posted. That certainly isn't done here in Jasper - unlike outside the parks, you have to pull up to the pump before you can see what the price is ... I've always heard this is because of national park signage regulations ...?

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
27,161 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting Gas in Lake Louise Area vs Golden Area

For what it's worth, the Golden gas stations are very easy to access from Hwy 1, and are a bit more convenient if you have a long motorhome/RV. To get gas at Lake Louise, you need to pull off of the main highway and head into the "village" area for gas.

Reply to: Getting Gas in Lake Louise Area vs Golden Area
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted