We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I plan excursions during our first trip to PV?

Palatine, Illinois
Level Contributor
471 posts
58 reviews
Should I plan excursions during our first trip to PV?

We have five nights at the Occidental Grand in Nuevo Vallarta, traveling with two older teens. They typically do ziplining and jet skiing during port stops on our cruise vacations. Just wondering if I need to spend the money here or if our relatively short stay would be adequately filled by activities right on our beach and at our hotel? Vallarta Adventures offers a 3 for the price of two deal, but that's a lot of time away from the resort. Opinions?

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
2,028 posts
1. Re: Should I plan excursions during our first trip to PV?

I would suggest the "Outdoor Adventure" from Vallarta Adventures. It departs from the Nuevo marina, and is an excellent excursion comprised of a number of activities, including a high speed boat ride across the bay (which will give you a better feel for the area), a ride through the mountain jungle, a ride on a burro, and ziplining.

vallarta-adventures.com/tours/outdoor-advent…

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
2,028 posts
2. Re: Should I plan excursions during our first trip to PV?

p.s. - You'll be able to find jet skis right on the beach near the Occidental. I'd also recommend taking the bus or a taxi into Puerto - get off at the north end of the Malecon, and walk it all the way to the south end of town. Make some detours inland during the walk to see what's around, and plan to spend some time walking the streets of the Zona Romantica (south part of town). You can also readily make a trip up north to Sayulita, a crafty, hippie-ish surfing town with a much different flavor. This would be a half-day trip easily done by bus or taxi. So basically, I would organize the Outdoor Adventure in advance, and plan to fill in your schedule with the other side trips whenever it suits you.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
4,780 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Should I plan excursions during our first trip to PV?

I would talk to the teens and see what they want to do. With only 5 night, so really only 4 full days, they may just want to veg at the resort.

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
8,449 posts
134 reviews
4. Re: Should I plan excursions during our first trip to PV?

mary_228, with two older teens they may enjoy learning to surf. Just up the road a bit in Sayulita (a surfing community), this is a great beach option for a day.

Se diviertan!

Palatine, Illinois
Level Contributor
471 posts
58 reviews
5. Re: Should I plan excursions during our first trip to PV?

I appreciate your comments. I really want to do the Rhythms of the Night on one of the evenings where we don't get a sit down meal at our AI. And the kids are interested in the Outdoor Adventure mentioned here. We will get a third excursion for free if we do this, but since they all are 6-7 hours each, it seems like our resort time will be somewhat constrained. A lot to think about!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
2,028 posts
6. Re: Should I plan excursions during our first trip to PV?

That's a nice problem to have...

You could add the dolphin swim as the third event - it happens near your hotel and only lasts a couple of hours, so if you schedule it for the morning you'll have the rest of the day to goof off!

7. Re: Should I plan excursions during our first trip to PV?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2015, 05:20
Get answers to your questions about Nuevo Vallarta