We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions on Riu Jalisco vs. Riu Vallarta?

Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
235 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Questions on Riu Jalisco vs. Riu Vallarta?

Hellooooo!

First of all, if they are next door to each other, why does Tripadvisor list Riu Jalisco under the Nuevo section but Riu is under the Tenacatita section?

If you stay at either resort are you entitled to use the facilities (pools, restaurants, etc.) of both?

How do the rooms compare in size, cleanliness, luxury?

How do the pools compare?

If we choose Riu J. we get a $39 refund but if we choose Riu V. we pay an extra $260! Is Riu V. worth the extra money?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Riu Jalisco
Hotel Riu Jalisco
4,826 Reviews
Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions on Riu Jalisco vs. Riu Vallarta?

I really don't understand the different forums. The Tenacatita is a new label to that area and for awhile I couldn't find a Tab for the Forum. So think the website just isn't finished yet.

If you stay at the new Riu Vallarta you are granted guest privileges at the Riu Jalisco but not the other way around. (I believe if you stay at the Riu Pacifico that opens in October, you have privileges at all three.)

We visited the Riu Jalisco and we thought the Jalisco and the Vallarta basically had the same lay-out. Didn't see the rooms at the Jalisco but the Riu Vallarta is newer, more of a "vegas type" hotel. The Jalisco definitely looked older with flashy colors and a more Mexican flare. The Vallarta has a classier look to it.

I thought the pools looked alot alike but the Jalisco's were showing their age and scaled down a little.

The exchange privileges are nice but we never used them because we were happy to just stay at the Vallarta. Beaches are no different.

Can't say if the Vallarta is worth the extra money. You will have fun at either. I personally think I'd choose the Vallarta though. But the extra money would pay for a nice outside venture...... Just my thoughts...... Good Luck!

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Riu Vallarta
Hotel Riu Vallarta
5,865 Reviews
Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
Hotel Riu Jalisco
Hotel Riu Jalisco
4,826 Reviews
Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
Jalisco
Jalisco
Mexico
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
8,953 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions on Riu Jalisco vs. Riu Vallarta?

The tenacatita site is new and in setting it up, TA moved a few PV hotels there too in error. I sent them an e mail and got a response that they are "working on it". This was last Friday.

According to the Apple Vacations book, guests at the Riu Vallarta can use the facilities at the Riu Jalisco (dinner restaurants excluded) but Jalisco can not use Vallarta'

Also the Vallarta is newer than the Jalisco.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Riu Vallarta
Hotel Riu Vallarta
5,865 Reviews
Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
Hotel Riu Jalisco
Hotel Riu Jalisco
4,826 Reviews
Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
Jalisco
Jalisco
Mexico
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
kansas city
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions on Riu Jalisco vs. Riu Vallarta?

we have stayed at both. jalisco is a little Musty smelling- beut we had fun at both

Mentioned in this post
Jalisco
Jalisco
Mexico
Florida
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions on Riu Jalisco vs. Riu Vallarta?

I've stayed at both... and I don't think Vallarta is worth the extra money. We travel as an active mid 30's couple.

Plus, Jalisco has more of a tropical feel because the greenery is older. Vallarta has so much cement it made it feel sterile.

The main difference is the location of the stage and entertainment. At Vallarta.. it's right in the center of the courtyard... which means lots of noise by the rooms. At Jalisco... it's further down the courtyard... so the rooms are quieter.

You can go to Jalisco from Vallarta, but not vice versa.

If you're going after October... I'd go with the new Palace Pacifico. The RIU Palace hotels are great!!!!!! It opens this fall. Feel free to ask me questions via this site

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Jalisco
Jalisco
Mexico
5. Re: Questions on Riu Jalisco vs. Riu Vallarta?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 22:17
Get answers to your questions about Nuevo Vallarta