We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Azul Ixtapa (formerly the Melia Ixtapa)

Which Ixtapa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Azul Ixtapa (formerly the Melia Ixtapa)

We are planning a return trip to Ixtapa next Feb (2013), specifically the Azul Ixtapa. We stayed there two years ago when it was a Melia and we loved it. However, we always purchase "packages" from either YYZ or DTW with air/hotel/a.i. included. I see that the Azul is no longer participating in the consolidators sites??? I have tried to contact the property, but can't find an acceptable address on-line. What's going on with this property? I read great reviews and then horrible reviews. Some mention that Mexicans are receiving super-low pricing, which is fine, as long as their is enough space at the property! Anyone have any light to shed on this???

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,712 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Azul Ixtapa (formerly the Melia Ixtapa)

Toogy,

Looks like you can book them though Expedia.com

I didn't see them listed at Orbitz

Keith

London, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Azul Ixtapa (formerly the Melia Ixtapa)

Thanks for getting back to me Keith. Yes, I see that some consolidators are now offering this property. I guess I'll have to keep checking with Trip Advisor as to the quality of the vacation people have there now that the Melia chain has stepped away. We have stayed at the Park Royal twice, and it's o.k., but just "average". If you have any experience with any other properties in Ixtapa, please share! Again, thanks for getting back to me!

Pat

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,712 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Azul Ixtapa (formerly the Melia Ixtapa)

Hi Pat!

The two that we have stayed the most at the last 12 years are the old Dorado Pacifico (now the Sunscape Dorado) and La Brisas. We really loved staying at the Dorado, but have since switched back to Las Brisas when the Dorado went AI and Non-Smoking.

If you are an AI fan and the Azul doesn't work out for you any longer, give the Sunscape Dorado a look. It is a very clean property, and the staff are some of the best around. Best views are from the Family Suite rooms on the face of the hotel. Two balconies.

Las Brisas does a modified AI and a full one I believe. We tend to go off property a bit so we don't book it. The views are great, and again so are the staff. Upgrades here are a bit more pricey, but they do have beach club floors that are adult only if you require that. Food is pricey if no on the AI plan but it is some of the best in the area. Best Rib-eye that I have had in the area on our last trip last month March 2012 at the La Mexicana at Las Brisas. If you should stay here, bring a pair of binoculars so you can watch the fish just outside the surf in the mornings! They have great balconies.

Keith

London, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Azul Ixtapa (formerly the Melia Ixtapa)

Thanks Keith - I was actually looking at Sunscape. We like all-inclusives, and this coming trip we are taking along a brother and sister-in-law who have never travelled anywhere before! I will look again at Las Brisas - my only concern is the cost, especially for "first time" travellers. Isn't Las Brisas the property with all the stairs? While I don't mind that fact (let's face it - who doesn't need a little excercise while on holiday) I'm not sure others will share my thought process on this!

Thanks for your info!

Pat Toogood

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,712 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Azul Ixtapa (formerly the Melia Ixtapa)

Yes Pat, Las Brisas has some stairs to navigate around, and no getting away from them to get to the restaurants.

Sunscape on the other hand has very few, and is a smaller property in terms of area.

Keith

Edited: 09 April 2012, 15:08
Fruitvale, CO
Level Contributor
305 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Azul Ixtapa (formerly the Melia Ixtapa)

First. both the people at the Azul and Melia have been very tight lipped about the change over, We were there several weeks before the change over and though we were friendly with several managers for years,, nothing was said about it. Since then we have heard several stories about why the change from "worst occupancy in the Melia chain to best occupancy in the chain". What is certain is the businessmen who own it now run it. or have a new mangement company.

Second, the occupancy has always been about 80/20 Nationals to NOBs.

My understanding is that the old staff is still there and things have not changed. You always have good and bad reviews.

Try Calidad@Azulixtapa.com This is the Public Relations Manager e -mail.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
225 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Azul Ixtapa (formerly the Melia Ixtapa)

We were there in Feb 2012 and have been repeat visitors to the Melia hotel for years. We won't be back, hotel was over run with conference visitors, one restaurant open most nights (sometimes had to wait to eat), drinks watered down in the lobby bar, special treatment to Nationals. Just over all seems to have gone down hill, came home with cockroach eggs in our suitcase. Trying someplace new next year sorry to say.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Azul Ixtapa (formerly the Melia Ixtapa)

Yikes! Cockroach eggs? However, some of the finest hotels in the world, five star et al, are dealing with bed bugs, sooo.....guess we hope for the best. Still, your review is somewhat disturbing, especially as it pertains to availability of ammenties when a conference is there. Thanks for the heads up.

Pat

London, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Azul Ixtapa (formerly the Melia Ixtapa)

Thanks, I email them now.....I'll let you know there response to my concerns.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Azul Ixtapa (formerly the Melia Ixtapa)

I am pricing the Sunscape now.....unless I here something very promising from the Azul, this will be our destination. Thanks for your direction Keith!

Pat

Get answers to your questions about Ixtapa
Recent Conversations