We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Language barrier?

Kelowna, Canada
7 posts
Save Topic
Language barrier?

Hello, we are heading to Zihua in March for our first visit. Is it easy to converse with the local merchants and in restaurants? We plan on learning a few phrases.....any suggestions? Also, are there whale sightings in March? Thanks😎

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Language barrier?

No problem at most Restaurants/shops but good you are learning some Spanish as it is appreciated.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
594 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Language barrier?

We like to make sure we use Spanish greetings, and the polite words (please, thank you, excuse me etc) -

You can find a good list here -

tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g150768-s604/Mexico:Im…

One important thing to remember - you need to ask for the bill - they consider it impolite to bring it unless you ask for it - La cuenta, por favor (lah KWAYN-tah, pohr fah-BOHR)

Kelowna, Canada
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Language barrier?

Great, thanks for the response!

Williams Lake, BC...
Level Contributor
371 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Language barrier?

No problems with conversing. Chicken, beef, pork, fish, beer, toilet, and counting to 10 in spanish are an asset. Even the most remote places have "somebody" who can speak broken english better than my broken spanish. Whales are hit and miss but we have seen them in March before. Guitarfest is march 6-15. What is your name and do you have children are the ice breakers/conversation starters.

Cheers!

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
4,119 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Language barrier?

I'm sure you will find the local folks to be very embracing. They will be very happy to help you with your spanish...and they will be delighted that you show respect to them with your "phrases". In any country, any attempt at the basics in their language is appreciated by the locals. Just reverse it, and see how you feel towards people who arrive in your country and try to speak even a little English.

Wishing you a wonderful visit to the Zihua area.

blaine, mn
Level Contributor
820 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Language barrier?

I'm not sure the locals can understand Canadian though...

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
14,491 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Language barrier?

I took a 'Spanish for Traveler's' course a few years ago in my community, it was very helpful, perhaps you can look into it to see if there are similar courses in your area?

This area has less fluent English speakers than other resort areas in Mexico that get a higher ratio of English speaking tourists, but most people in the tourist industry still speak quite good English, or at least the basics. You will be fine. Attempts at speaking Spanish are usually met with grace and appreciation, although you run the risk of them assuming you can speak it which often ends in them speaking to me far too quickly and I don't grasp a thing, haha!

Kelowna, Canada
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Language barrier?

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions! Two more questions, please:

1.....we are renting a car from an agency at the airport. Any do's or don'ts, and how does the car insurance work there?

2.....is there a place where i can purchase one of those beautiful sinks (the colourful ones)?

Thanks😎

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,901 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Language barrier?

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g150768-c115565/Mexic…

If you can use taxi's...it is better!! Guilty until proven innocent rather frightening!!

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
13,595 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Language barrier?

unless you're planning on a trip to Patzcuaro or other places outside Zihua/Ixtapa you really don''t want or need a car. It will be a big hassle . Use cabs..or walk..easier and cheaper in the long run.

We have rented many times BUT it was to drive to Morelia, Guanajuato, and Patzcuaro...and the minute we got back to Z and / or La Barra we turned the car back in....you will not regret ditching the car.

Edited: 08 January 2015, 04:34