We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report March 10-17

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
187 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trip report March 10-17

Just returned from a wonderful trip to Ixtapa/Zihua. First time back in four years. Arrived 20 minutes early and was through customs in 25 minutes. Grabbed a Suburban taxi for the 5 of us at 885 pesos and off to BVG. I jokingly asked the driver where the cervazas were and he quickly pulled over and ran into a store and came back with 6 Coronas.

After dropping off the luggage it was off to Rubens for burgers. As good as I remember. Kids went back to condo while the wife and I went to Mega for groceries. At the pool for a a couple hours then Franks for dinner.

Stopped at SF Shakers (formerly Senor Frog) and was shocked at how crowded it was. Had a blast. Walker over to find Alex's and stopped at Beer Planet. Asked about Alex and was pointed in the direction. On the way we met a gravely voiced gentleman who turned out to be Alex. What a character and well worth the visit (one of three) After beers and tequila shots it was off to bed at 1230.

I'll post day two later but not before saying that prior to this trip I scoured various sites about safety since we had our 19 and 21 year old but son's girlfriend as well. We walked a lot and never once felt threatened or uneasy. The people of Ixtapa/Zihua were nothing but gracious...

Mentioned in this post
Ixtapa
Ixtapa
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
El Tiburon de la Costa
€€ - €€€, Mexican, Latin, Seafood
The General's Sports Bar & Restaurant
€€ - €€€, Mexican, American, Bar
Franks bar and grill
€€ - €€€, Italian, Mexican, Bar
7 replies to this topic
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
4,081 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report March 10-17

Glad you enjoyed your vacation and thanks for sharing some of the highlights. Come back soon!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
6,190 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report March 10-17

Glad you had a great time!!

Thanks for coming back to say so!!

Keith

Bonney Lake...
Level Contributor
73 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report March 10-17

Sounds like you had a blast!

Makes me even more anxious to go on my trip....too bad I have to wait until December!!

Look forward to reading about day 2...

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
187 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report March 10-17

Day two started out with breakfast in the Condo then some pool time. Took a beach stroll and found the Rock Arena Bar next to Charlies on the beach. Stopped and had a few cold beers and listen to some classic rock. Bartender was friendly and talked with some other patrons, The bathroom here are immaculate. They are putting in a kitchen as well. Walked back to the condo to get ready to go into Zihua but not before tryimg the tacos from Sr. Tacos. They were delicous

Went into Z for the Sunday night festivities at the basketball court (La concha) and what a great time. Food vendors of all sorts and music. Nice to see all of the families out enjoying themselves. Walked over to Los Brasesors for those wonderful tacos. Walked around the downtown area and stopped for a few beers along the way. Never felt uneasy as I said. Back to Ixtapa aroung midnight. The time just seemed to go by slowly which was nice. Day three tomorrow...

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
2,432 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report March 10-17

Hey Calhoun, nice report. Check your mail, I sent you a personal message.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
187 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report March 10-17

Day three was spent by the pool and another visit to Rock Arena. Son went parasailing and had a blast. He and his GF wanted to do the tandem parasailing and while the operator could have easily taken their money he told them that he was not comforartable letting them since the wind conditiobs were not favorable for a tandem. Had lunch poolside. Before dinner my son and I enjoyed a couple fine Cuban cigars and then had drinks at the General. It was crowded but the beer was cold. Had dinner at Casa Morelos and it was solid but not as good as I recall. Early night since the previous couple days caught up...

Mentioned in this post
Casa Morelos
Casa Morelos
227 Reviews
Ixtapa, Mexico
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
187 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report March 10-17

Day four was Tuesday and it mirrored Monday in that we made breakfast in the condo then went poolside for the morning and afternoon. Took a beach stroll and again ended up at Rock Arena. Son and GF went jet skiing and back to the pool for lunch. Dinner was at the condo. We had arranged through Best Properties to have Anjelica come and cook for us. She had stopped at the condo the night before to disocuss the menu and pesos for the groceries. She showed up in her Chef;s jacket and brought along her own pots/pans and knives. We had Arrachera and Shrimp, rice with corn the brightest and tastiest red and yellow peppers to go along with the steak. She tempura battered the shrimp. A red and green salsa along with fresh Pico. The red sauce was hot just the way I like it. She also brought mesa and had homemeade tortillas. The best diner of the whole trip we agreed. Went to a few bars in Ixtapa including the General and SF Shakers. In by 1030 since that sun sure does take a lot out of you.

Mentioned in this post
Ixtapa
Ixtapa
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Reply to: Trip report March 10-17
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted