We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shore fishing?

Manitoba
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Shore fishing?

We'll be staying at the Azul Grand April 1-8 and my husband is wanting to bring his fishing rod to possibly do some fishing from shore. Is there any place to do this close to the hotel? Any issues with doing so (need a license? locals/hotel staff won't mind? too rocky to fish from shore? any fish there??)? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated :-) Thanks!

11 replies to this topic
Minnesota
Level Contributor
6,339 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: Shore fishing?

Fishing from shore, watch for the birds.

Blind casting can also produce smaller Jacks and Sierra Mackerel.

The easiest lures to use are Megabait style Metal Slider lures in the 1.5 to 2.5 oz sizes , spoons like Lil Cleos if you can find the 2 oz or so to get out into the surf.

Best colors are Green/Golds and Blue/Silvers.

There is not a lot of shore fishing done in the area, but fishing is fishing!!

Keith

Manitoba
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Shore fishing?

Thanks so much Labrat! I will be sure to pass on your info.

And yes, with my husband - fishing is fishing :-)

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,879 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Shore fishing?

Every year we see moray eels with fishing hooks stuck down their throats dragging line that will surely shorten their lives and even a sea turtle with fishing line biting into it's flipper. When you fish in places you don't fully understand you can do damage that you might not be aware of either like snagging on coral and breaking it off trying to get free. The locals need the food. Tourists have choices and I ask you to think about this when considering shore fishing.

Manitoba
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Shore fishing?

Thank you for your insight as well juanrojo. Definitely some things to think about - which is why any hints/tips to aid in responsible fishing in places unknown is appreciated. For what it's worth, my husband was hoping to have the hotel cook up his catch - if there is any :-)

Minnesota
Level Contributor
6,339 posts
12 reviews
5. Re: Shore fishing?

H;

Most hotels change a small fee fro fish brought in to cook.

Around 200 Pesos per person.

They will present your fish how you want it, or done in several local ways for you to try if you care to.

Fishing in the area is quite reasonable as well. Depending on what you want to do, you can fish from Zihuatanejo to a beach and have your catch cooked for lunch, then boat back watching for Whales both ways.

Of go off shore for Sailfish and Dorado (Mahi Mahi) for around 200-250 U.S. for the day (that is for the boat equipment et al, not per person)

Give me a shout if you need info!!

Keith

Edited: 15 March 2018, 21:45
Manitoba
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Shore fishing?

Thanks again for all your helpful info Labrat!!

Hubby's been deep sea fishing in PV before and wasn't really looking for off-shore fishing this time. More so just wake up at 6:00 am, grab the fishing rod and head down to the shore by himself kinda thing. Maybe some of the hotel staff can point him in the right direction.

He just spent the last 2 days ice fishing so to be wearing shorts and fishing from shore in less than 2 weeks will be a real treat lol! Now, here's hoping he's able to get his 2 piece rods in the suitcase :-)

Des Moines, Iowa
1 post
1 review
7. Re: Shore fishing?

I just returned from there last week. I saw a guy carrying his fishing rod on the plane. That's one way to do it! Lol

Manitoba
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Shore fishing?

Well, so much for the fishing... 11 days before the trip and Sunwing cancelled our flights and effectively, our vacation at this point... Kudos Sunwing!!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
14,595 posts
60 reviews
9. Re: Shore fishing?

Well, that sucks!! Can you not get there on a different airline?

I can't believe that Sunwing is still in business, those types of stories being so common.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
6,339 posts
12 reviews
10. Re: Shore fishing?

No!!!!!!

How can they get away with that?

Keith

Reply to: Shore fishing?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted