We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New trouble in Morelia?

Logan, Utah
Level Contributor
209 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
New trouble in Morelia?

We are really hoping to take a bus from Mexico City to Morelia, spend a couple nights there, and take a bus back in a couple weeks ... however we just came across this article about a bomb threat there: excelsior.com.mx/nacional/2014/03/28/951089

So our question is, is there new trouble brewing that should force us to reconsider our plans? Thanks in advance for your advice, folks!

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
2,179 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New trouble in Morelia?

Go. You'll be fine. Google breakingnews/topic/bomb-threats. You'll want to get out of the US as soon as possible. Besides, they didn't find a bomb anyway. 2-3 years ago there was a State Department travel advisory for San Luis Potosi, since 2 DEA agents were found murdered on hwy. 57. That advisory is still in effect because of that. But 1000's of cars travel 57 every day. The point is, what happened last week has little, if any, bearing on what might happen next week. In fact, if you're a gambler or actuary, the odds are even greater that your trip will be uneventful now that an event has occurred.

Logan, Utah
Level Contributor
209 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New trouble in Morelia?

Thank you! We will go :-)

Jomtien Beach...
Level Contributor
350 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New trouble in Morelia?

I'm a little late. I agree with you that Morelia is safe, just not with your reasoning. To tell a person unfamiliar with a place that "The point is, what happened last week has little, if any, bearing on what might happen next week" is so dangerous when considering whether to go an unfamiliar land. There are too many examples to put down. Say, when the protests broke out in Egypt in, what, 2011? I remember people advising that it was okay to still to Cairo, but what happened? Those protests escalated to overwhelm the gov't and led to a military takeover, with many tourists eventually trapped in hotels, with some attacked. What happened "last week" was definitely a signal of what was to come, for those paying attention. But the earthquake/tsunami in Japan, once the gov't cleaned up everything, did not mean that it would always be inconvenient to visit Japan. But Iraq, when the uprising started? Central African Republic? Any traveler has to pay very close attention to events.

BC
Level Contributor
5,553 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New trouble in Morelia?

Well, the point is that the responder, knows the area and gave a correct response.

The situation is different from the Middle East, Africa, etc. So his reasoning was 100 percent accurate. Mexico is hardly "an unfamiliar land" to someone from the United States!

I had a great time in Morelia and other parts of Michoacan earlier this month. If I had worried about bomb threats, I would have never gone to work....they are not publicized in Canada, but when your building is routinely evacuated due to them, you know about them.

5. Re: New trouble in Morelia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2015, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Morelia