We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to see and do in Morelia?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
539 posts
707 reviews
What to see and do in Morelia?

We are fairly experienced travelers who have been to Mexico several times already. In February we will be in Morelia for a full week (11 to 18). We have read the recommendations for what to do and see in a couple of guide books and also on Trip Advisor. Are there litttle known highlights that we might not be aware of that we should see or do? We certainly plan on a day trip or two to Patzcuaro.

We are also wondering if there are any special events (like concerts or festivals) during the week we will be there. We searched for a city or state tourism website but found nothing that was helpful. We will also contact our accommodation hostess for information on all this too. I guess we want to know what visiting gringos might not be aware of that's going on in Morelia.

Thanks for any and all suggestions

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
71 reviews
1. Re: What to see and do in Morelia?

Well great architecture, lovely town square, a decent Zoo if you have a intrest, excellent cafes & a nice art museum in the main Park.

Take the tour even if your Spanish is weak. Visit the Candy store/museo, The Torture Museo is for those with a strong stomach IMO.

I spent a week there a few years ago having no problem filling my week.

A shoe shine on the main plaza is a fun experience for only a few pesos. Lots of cafes/coffee shops around the main plaza makes for people watching.

I would strongly urge you to do a day in Patzcuaro either a 1/2 hour cab ride or a hour bus ride It is a most special place & well worth a day or two IMO.

BC
Level Contributor
5,581 posts
201 reviews
2. Re: What to see and do in Morelia?

Unclelouie, I was wondering how your trip went?

I'm planning to visit in May and am wondering the same things as you. I am also planning for 7 nights, though with 4 in Morelia and 3 in Patzcuaro.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
539 posts
707 reviews
3. Re: What to see and do in Morelia?

We had a great time. Morelia was a major part of our sixth trip to Mexico in the last five years and we have always spent time just in old colonial cities. The architecture is wonderful and there is plenty of things to see and do. For a more specific response to your question I will send a personal message.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
2,179 posts
57 reviews
4. Re: What to see and do in Morelia?

A trip to Santa Clara del Cobre is always worthwhile even if you don't buy. Some of the stuff they do with copper are truly works of art. In Uruapan, the Parque Barranaca del Cupatitzio (even if its man-made) and the falls of Tzararacuita are worth visiting also. If you get to the park, try a trout lunch at Terraza de la Trucha above the park. Uruapan is noticeably warmer and kinda sub-tropical in comparison to Morelia or Patzcuaro.

5. Re: What to see and do in Morelia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2015, 04:18
Get answers to your questions about Morelia