We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A sandwich with a view off A1M?

Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
A sandwich with a view off A1M?

Hello, apologies if this has been asked before but I am trying to find a scenic place to pull over and have sandwiches somewhere just off the A1 M - and I don't know the area at all. We will be making a 5 hour journey from Shropshire to Northumberland with our 12 month old baby and Wetherby sort of marks the halfway point so is there somewhere along this stretch of road where we could pull over, quickly stretch our legs and feed the baby his lunch? We will have food with us so a cafe or pub is not a requirement and I don't want to stray too far from the A1 and elongate what already is a big journey for a little one. A view to accompany our sandwiches would be great though! Is there anywhere we could look out for that fits the bill - don't really fancy a service station!

Any recommendations appreciated!

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,476 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A sandwich with a view off A1M?

I feel I should be able to answer this one easily as I'm up and down this stretch of road several times a week - but I'm struggling a little. There aren't many views around Wetherby but it isn't long further north before you can see the North York Moors hills to one side and the Dales to the other. How far do you want to go off your route?

There is a service station at Wetherby by the way, just in case you do want a quick stop.

Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A sandwich with a view off A1M?

Thanks for your reply Morgana. I didn't really want to stray further than a 10 min drive from the A1 and if we went into to a local town, I wouldn't want it to be one where we would be likely to get snarled up in traffic or have to search/queue/pay for a parking space! It'll be my husband's birthday though so I was hoping we could find somewhere more interesting than a service station to stop for half an hour or so! Problem is I don't know the area and don't want to lengthen our journey by aimlessly driving around. Ho hum!

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,476 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A sandwich with a view off A1M?

Well, I was thinking about Masham (pronounced 'Massum') - you'd turn off the A1 a few miles north of Wetherby, drive parallel to the A1 for about 3 miles and then head west along a good country road for about 6 or 7 miles.

I can promise you that you won't get a snarl up of any description in Masham! Although on market days (Wed and Sat) it is a little busier.

There's a huge market square (the biggest in Yorkshire and very pretty), lots of little cafes if you wanted a hot drink, a very good bakery, an ancient church to explore etc. There are benches around the market cross too where you could picnic, and there are even public toilets!

Edited: 04 March 2012, 13:06
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,315 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A sandwich with a view off A1M?

There also Hadrians Wall, up there but in my opinion you may be going 30 minutes sometimes wrong direction to get there when it could extend your journey time. Just trying to help here. Wetherby itself may be nice but we've gone to the service area but not the town which is a great shame.

Essex
Level Contributor
25,892 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A sandwich with a view off A1M?

Pontefract Castle is free to visit, is not that far from Wakefield and has some good views:

wakefield.gov.uk/CultureAndLeisure/Castlesan…

Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A sandwich with a view off A1M?

Thanks for your suggestion, Masham sounds lovely and could be an option.

Jd, I was originally thinking that the east end of Hadrian's Wall would be an ideal place for a picnic but when I started looking at the map I realised that it would be too much of a detour and we'd probably need to stop before we got that far north. I appreciate your help though!

Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A sandwich with a view off A1M?

Thanks EssexWanderer. Just seen on the map that Pontefract is close to the A1 so could be an option. I'll take a look. It's great that I'm starting to get some ideas of where to pull over when the baby starts crying!

York
Level Contributor
584 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: A sandwich with a view off A1M?

You could try Fairburn Ings RSPB reserve (Fairburn is on the old A1 just North of Ferrybridge), or Lotherton Hall and its bird garden (half a mile from A1M but reached easier from M1 than A1M just before the 2 Motorways join). The riverside car park at Boroughbridge is another possibility.

Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A sandwich with a view off A1M?

Thanks for those suggestions Robin. I've found Boroughbridge on the map. Would the riverside car park be easy to find once we turn off the A1?

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
202 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A sandwich with a view off A1M?

Two suggestions...

It might be a bit too far south but what about the Yorkshire Sculpture Park which is directly off Jct 38 of the M1?

You can park for free in the layby on the A637 and walk up the road into the bottom entrance. I normally pay to park, but that's because I want to support the place, but they are increasing the parking to £2.50 for an hour, £6.50 for 3 hrs and £8.00 for longer which, IMO is pretty steep.

Wetherby itself would be good. You can park in the "Wilderness Riverside" car park which is free and, as the name suggests is right next to the River Wharfe. Take some bread and feed the ducks. If my memory serves me well, I think there are picnic tables near the bandstand as well. Wetherby town centre itself is a nice place for a wander.