We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any Advice Would Be Appreciated!!!!!

Level Contributor
17 posts
18 reviews
Any Advice Would Be Appreciated!!!!!

Hi All,

I am going to Barcelo Los Cabos in February and it will be my first time in Cabo. I have just a few questions that I am hoping some fellow travellers can help me with.

1. What is the preferred currency at the hotel? What do the staff prefer for tipping? What about currency preferences in the towns like San Jose Del Cabo or Cabo San Lucas?

2. If I want to book some excursions, where is the best place to do this?

3. Do you have to buy Club Premium to obtain internet access in your room? Is it worth it to buy club premium?

4. Are you asked to pay for a towel card?

5. Where is the better place to exchange travellers cheques for dollars or pesos? The bank near Barcelo or is it better to go into town?

5. Anyone have any general advice/tips that they'd like to pass along?

Thanks so much for the help. It is very much appreciated!!!

Los Cabos
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
1. Re: Any Advice Would Be Appreciated!!!!!

Answers:

1. Use pesos for everything, everywhere. That's what the Mexicans want.

2. Book through the concierge at the Barcelo.

3. I don't know.

4. No.

5. Traveller's checks are hard to cash. Just use your debit card at an ATM to get pesos. There is no bank near Barcelo. The banks are downtown about a one mile walk. Ask at the front desk of Barcelo for directions

5. Go to the Thursday night Art Walk in downtown San Jose - walk there, you will be safe - 6 to 9pm. All the stores are open and good old fashioned family fun. Go to the Cactus Botanical Garden about 3 blocks from Barcelo. You will get a whole new appreciation for cacti.

!Bienvenidos a Los Cabos!

Canada!!
Level Contributor
918 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Any Advice Would Be Appreciated!!!!!

You do not have to upgrade to premium for internet. There is internet available on the smart tv's, depending on what you want to do. It would not let me connect to my work email, or send messages via my personal email so we decided to purchase wifi. They have rates starting at $22/single day, or $90/five days, etc. However, the wifi access points were so poor that with the help of the technician from the resort, we hooked up the internet feed used for the tv and used a cable, rather than the wifi. This was much quicker and worked well. You are still required to purchase internet with this method as it requires codes that expire every few days, depending on the amount purchased.

The internet available on the tv covers yahoo, gmail, hotmail, facebook, twitter, etc., and has basic internet available for searches, etc. Their pop up blockers prevented the use of sending email from other types of accounts. You could read the email, but not respond. Unless you need the internet for work purposes, and have one of the above types of email available, the free use may be more than enough.

Jersey
Level Contributor
76 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Any Advice Would Be Appreciated!!!!!

stay away from travelers cheques. useless things.

Level Contributor
17 posts
18 reviews
4. Re: Any Advice Would Be Appreciated!!!!!

Thanks for the tips. The only reason I would take travellers cheques is because the amount is replaceable if it gets stolen. After reading a few reviews where people talked about theft from safes (seems hard to believe) I thought it might be better to be on the safer side. I was thinking of bringing half us dollars and have us travellers cheques. Also, it is a nice perk to have internet in the room for facebook, hotmail, etc. Again, any more comments or advice would be welcome. Thanks alot!!!

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
77 posts
156 reviews
5. Re: Any Advice Would Be Appreciated!!!!!

There is a bank machine at the Mega store, a 5 minute walk from the hotel. It dispenses pesos, and exchange rate is very appropriate (no surprises on my bank statement). US dollars (small denominations) work well for tips (and are widely accepted everywhere).

vancouver
12 posts
6. Re: Any Advice Would Be Appreciated!!!!!

1. if you can get a bunch of 10 peso notes 'bring them for tipping ...Otherwise bring a pile of US one dollars ...It always seems hard to get your hands on a lot of small bills at the hotel.. Otherwise , use peso's for everything else ..cabs , food awaqy from the hotel ..The cabs seem to just multiply by ten for conversion..A $5 cab ride to San Jose can be had for 50 pesos etc..

2. don't know..

.3..Don't need Club premium for room internet ..Have been twice to the Barcelo , but neither on Club Premium ..Not sure what we are missing ,as we had a great time on both visits..

4.They give you the first towel cards when you arrive ...We've never lost a towel , so don't know what happens after that ..

5...Use the bank machines ...there is an HSBC across the street on the way to the Mega Store ...We have used that , and the Scotia location at the mall in Los cabos ..it's the best way to get cash..

6.Book your specialty restaurants as soon as you can ..on arrival , or early first morning ...Go on the art walk in San Jose ..its a great evening ..Get down to los cabos and do a "glass bottom boat out to Los Arcs..There are a dozen or more guys looking for your business , so don't take the first offer ...Stroll the inner harbour for a bit and the prices always seem to drop on your second pass.. See the whales......

last , but not least do not stop for anyone at the airport until you get through the doors to the outside where your Tour Rep and buses will be ..All the "hawks" on the inside will try to convince you they are your ride ..It's all time share stuff ....It's hard , but ignore them ....

whatever you choose to do , or where to go , you will have a very enjoyable visit .....

7. Re: Any Advice Would Be Appreciated!!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2011, 06:34
Get answers to your questions about San Jose del Cabo
Recent Conversations