We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Capella Pedregal under new management?

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Capella Pedregal under new management?

I received a notice from Capella Pedregal today that they had severed ties with the Capella Group and would be reopening in January under the new name The Resort at Pedregal. However, I just did a quick search online and found this article: http://t.co/OrabeFWw35 that states that Capella Hotel Group is disputing this claim and says they still have a contract to operate the property. Has anyone else heard anything about this or know what is going on at Capella Pedregal?

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Capella Pedregal under new management?

For what it's worth the Capella Pedregal Twitter and Instagram accounts have been changed to The Resort at Pedregal but the Capella Pedregal Facebook account has been disabled or removed.

Richland, Washington
Level Contributor
514 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Capella Pedregal under new management?

This makes me sad. It seems the only constant in Cabo is change. Capella did an amazing job of customer service. Maybe too good. I don't see any where to go but down from where they "were"??

San Diego...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Capella Pedregal under new management?

Oh wow! Planning to come back there in April. Would like to know more. We love the Capella brand.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Capella Pedregal under new management?

There was one more article today posted on Travel Weekly: http://bit.ly/1x4HmcN

It looks like some kind of hostile takeover by one of two owners of the property. It will be interesting to see how it all turns out. Their Facebook account has come back online under the new Resort at Pedregal name.

I cannot same I am a big fan of the new name. It seems to lack a bit in cachet. If that is the best the "new" management can come up with I wonder what other changes are in store. I am also curious what this will mean for the people that bought fractional ownerships in the residence side of the property.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,894 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Capella Pedregal under new management?

This might be a clue??? Financial??

http://carvalinvestors.com/

Weston, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,066 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Capella Pedregal under new management?

Hmmm....I would stay away for the time being. I love the Capella brand, and I'm not sure what service levels will be like going forward.

Olympia, WA
Level Contributor
10,064 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Capella Pedregal under new management?

And yet another story about property management here emerges with the property owner charging improper financial reporting and diversion of revenues (including funds to help employees recover from Hurricane Odile damages):

prnewswire.com/news-releases/struggling-hote…

Edited: 07 November 2014, 20:53
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,894 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Capella Pedregal under new management?

Thanks ElJefe for posting this article...and I think this part of your article needs to be just shown here...truly very sad...

It says:

"Beyond its mismanagement of the property itself, Capella has held funds donated by generous patrons to help the neediest team members recover from the devastating effects of Hurricane Odile," the spokesperson continued. "Capella is holding tens of thousands of dollars intended specifically to help hotel associates get their lives back in order following the horrific storms that have plagued Cabo recently. For reasons beyond our knowledge, they have opted not to distribute those funds. This is not only unacceptable for the unfortunate families involved, but should be doubly embarrassing in light of the fact that the funds were donated by our guests."

Edited: 07 November 2014, 22:30
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Capella Pedregal under new management?

This has turned into a battle of competing Press Releases. Capella just released a press release refuting the claims in the link above by Eljefe. Their press release is at: http://prn.to/1vWpJq0

Some of Capella's counter-claims:

1) "a New York Supreme Court Judge has ordered that Capella Hotels and Resorts be reinstated as the management company of Capella Pedregal, Cabo San Lucas, effective immediately"

2) "CarVal's illegal takeover of Capella Pedregal has hindered the disbursement of [the employees relief] funds as originally intended"

I would guess this is going to be settled by lawyers or in court at some point. I am not sure that the New York Supreme Court is going to have much standing. It will most likely end up in front of a judge in Mexico.

Hopefully it can be sorted out before the scheduled reopening in January and the employees do not get caught in the middle of the two fighting companies.

United States
Level Contributor
10,144 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Capella Pedregal under new management?

Well that is the end of one of the nicest hotels in terms of service and setting that I have stayed at. Had booking for next year but cancelled that. Really hard to sort out what is going on there but I don't think it will be a Capella in the future.