We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does this make sense?

MINNEAPOLIS
Level Contributor
117 posts
1 review
Does this make sense?

I have been following all the information possible regarding the horrible hurricane in Cabo. We have been coming to Cabo for years and our hearts break seeing the destruction from the storm and the impact it has had on everyone there. I know getting back to normal will take time. I am curious however in regards to the policy of cancelling all reservations going forward. We have reservations at the Hilton for late February and we received notice today that our reservation has been cancelled. I understand that they are assessing the damage but why would they cancel reservations five months out when they are not sure how long it will take to repair the damage? Again, I understand the turmoil there at the present time but a lot can happen in five months. I would rather come to Cabo in February and support the community than go somewhere else. Am I missing something or is the standard in this type of situation?

Weston, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,066 posts
9 reviews
11. Re: Does this make sense?

Very interesting - thank you for this update.

los angeles
Level Contributor
1,913 posts
30 reviews
12. Re: Does this make sense?

Wow is that the new hyatt?

But the hilton could have structural damage and then it's unsafe. They are being honest and I'd be happy u can cancel. So many others are saying they can't cancel losing money feeling forced to go etc. I'd want to be safe. We are supposed to go in April booked air the week before this happened. Not I'm not so sure. It spunds horrible right now and you will never know for sure for months. There are going to be those that say it's ok to go for tourism sake others will say stay back let them recover or go to help. One if the restaurants I love was destroyed "missiones". It's soo very sad and I know right now my dh doesn't want to go.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13. Re: Does this make sense?

Wow, canceling already for Feb (high season)? Hmmmm...just wow! =(

St James, New York
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
18,251 posts
176 reviews
14. Re: Does this make sense?

The Damage to the Hilton was more than most resorts. Rather than give unrealistic opening dates they can't meet, they probably will plan to rebuild a new stronger resort

That makes more sense than to reopen quickly a with design that obviously can't withstand a major hurricane.

United States
Level Contributor
10,789 posts
273 reviews
15. Re: Does this make sense?

No doubt they will not be the only ones closed until Feb. Often a property that did not fare well will take this opportunity (visitors will be far fewer for months) to complete rework the property and enhance it etc. Usually this will be the major chains and there are many in SJD.

Olympia, WA
Level Contributor
10,070 posts
10 reviews
16. Re: Does this make sense?

Rocky is correct. My understanding is also that the Hilton sustained a lot of damage. That was actually reported from the very beginning. I would also not be surprised if other resorts don't accept guests as early as they are saying right now.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
17. Re: Does this make sense?

^^ For sure. Some of the reopening dates just cant be right - the Riu's for instance. 9/30? From the looks of the photos from the Santa Fe, thats unimaginable! But they will string people along and not allow them to cancel past the date they set without a penalty, which some will end up paying. Then they'll extend their dates, and so on....

MINNEAPOLIS
Level Contributor
117 posts
1 review
18. Re: Does this make sense?

Think you are correct Gene, I would guess the thinking is it is better to clean out all reservations until they have a firm re-open date so they don't need to keep pushing things out. I guess they are being more pro-active which in the long run may be the best

MINNEAPOLIS
Level Contributor
117 posts
1 review
19. Re: Does this make sense?

Thanks to all for your feedback!!! We can all pray for a speedy recovery

Puyallup, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,547 posts
10 reviews
20. Re: Does this make sense?

Several resorts are giving very unrealistic reports of when they will be open and even posting fake photos.