We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does this make sense?

MINNEAPOLIS
Level Contributor
117 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Does this make sense?

I have been following all the information possible regarding the horrible hurricane in Cabo. We have been coming to Cabo for years and our hearts break seeing the destruction from the storm and the impact it has had on everyone there. I know getting back to normal will take time. I am curious however in regards to the policy of cancelling all reservations going forward. We have reservations at the Hilton for late February and we received notice today that our reservation has been cancelled. I understand that they are assessing the damage but why would they cancel reservations five months out when they are not sure how long it will take to repair the damage? Again, I understand the turmoil there at the present time but a lot can happen in five months. I would rather come to Cabo in February and support the community than go somewhere else. Am I missing something or is the standard in this type of situation?

Claremont...
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does this make sense?

Well at least they were honest about how destructive and extensive the damage is to their business and they'd rather cut their losses in hopes that you'll re-book at a later date. It's better to do this than to give an unrealistic time frame. I

MINNEAPOLIS
Level Contributor
117 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Does this make sense?

Thanks, I guess but it just seems like a long time out to make that determination but the damage may be worse than it looks

California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,522 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does this make sense?

They must really have had extensive damage.

I agree that at least they are being real with you.

This was a massive hurricane and there could be so much more internal damage then even what we see on the outside of buildings.

I think that sadly that might be the case with more and more resorts as they are accessed.

Vancouver BC
Level Contributor
4,617 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does this make sense?

Here is a link to a lot of pictures of Cabo. Perhaps you can recognize if any are of the Hilton.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/…

Vancouver BC
Level Contributor
4,617 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does this make sense?

Another person that got the email also. Click for that thread.

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g152515-i84-k781688…

Orange County
Level Contributor
112 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does this make sense?

Take a close look at the news reports. Los Cabos suffered major damage. They dont have anything in place to handle this tragic event. It is going to take a long time to get just the basics up and running.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,830 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does this make sense?

We had extensive damage here in Cozumel during Hurricane Wilma in 2005. You are from Minneapolis, therefore Hurricanes are not prevalent in your area. You do not understand what a major hurricane can do to a beach front area in the tropics. To rebuild Hurricane destruction takes time, money, and labor. There is a reason why. Hang in there, Cabo will be back when it is ready.

Brooklyn Park...
Level Contributor
79 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does this make sense?

This is why your reservation is canceled.

https:/…

Edited: 20 September 2014, 12:51
Brooklyn Park...
Level Contributor
79 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Does this make sense?

Sorry wrong Hotel, and it wont let me delete my post.

United States
Level Contributor
10,138 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Does this make sense?

I think the OP is asking because they see so many hotel reports with opening as early as Sept. 22...many in Oct. and Nov. and his is Feb. My opinion is the Hilton is just being upfront about the reality and rather than keep moving the dates as these others will not doubt do and further complicating the plans of their visitors they gave a more realistic dates.