I've been waiting to call Orbitz until I felt I was sure we needed to postpone our Oct 10 trip to Los Cabos. After 48 hours of reading and posting here, I feel the time has come for me to come to grips with the fact that we're not coming down in 22 days. I was wondering if anyone that uses Orbitz to book flights has dealt with them this week as to refunds/credits/whatever to cancel flights. The timeshare exchange was done thru Interval, not too concerned there.
Please don't think I'm being selfish, just want to know how others may be dealing with cancelling their October trips too. We are sickened from the reports and pics of the destruction, hopefully the donation we made here helps a local family somewhat - I know they are struggling worse than we are. Yesterday, we were ready to sleep on a beach if that's what it took. Today - I think we should wait to come down, 3 weeks is not enough time for sufficient re-building, it's just too much.