We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

orbitz - has anyone called to cancel flights?

Arizona
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
47 reviews
orbitz - has anyone called to cancel flights?

I've been waiting to call Orbitz until I felt I was sure we needed to postpone our Oct 10 trip to Los Cabos. After 48 hours of reading and posting here, I feel the time has come for me to come to grips with the fact that we're not coming down in 22 days. I was wondering if anyone that uses Orbitz to book flights has dealt with them this week as to refunds/credits/whatever to cancel flights. The timeshare exchange was done thru Interval, not too concerned there.

Please don't think I'm being selfish, just want to know how others may be dealing with cancelling their October trips too. We are sickened from the reports and pics of the destruction, hopefully the donation we made here helps a local family somewhat - I know they are struggling worse than we are. Yesterday, we were ready to sleep on a beach if that's what it took. Today - I think we should wait to come down, 3 weeks is not enough time for sufficient re-building, it's just too much.

Weston, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,066 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: orbitz - has anyone called to cancel flights?

You can change your flights, likely with a hefty change fee from the airlines ($250? pp) plus additional change/adinistrative fees imposed by Orbitz.

Arizona
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
47 reviews
2. Re: orbitz - has anyone called to cancel flights?

thanks for the reply - that sounds like the Orbitz I'm used to - I was afraid they'd be less than accommodating.

just when you think you wont need trip insurance.......WHAM!

Klamath Falls...
Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
3. Re: orbitz - has anyone called to cancel flights?

Check with the airline your flying. United and Alaska are waiving change fees and covering the cost difference for a new flight, just depends. It may be that Orbitz will charge you a fee, but from what I'm seeing airlines are extending the waive well into October now.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
4. Re: orbitz - has anyone called to cancel flights?

For dates after 9/30, United will waive change fees but not the fare difference.

Menifee, California
3 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: orbitz - has anyone called to cancel flights?

DO not go

Longmont, Colorado
2 posts
6. Re: orbitz - has anyone called to cancel flights?

We did it 2 days ago, and were told that we would get 100% refund, no cancellation charges for the airfare, (air was via US AIR) We received a small refund thus far, and instructions that it may take up to 45 days for the airline to process our refund. We were also told when we called that our flight had already BEEN cancelled by US air (and this was for Oct 16th). I was pleasantly surprised, but then again, I don't have my money back YET.

They also told us that they could not reach our hotel (ME cabo), so to try back in a few days. I'm hoping that ME will allow us to cancel, or change our reservations to their Cancun property. (fingers crossed). ME is currently scheduled to re-open the DAY we were supposed to arrive.

Will update when we know more (calling tomorrow again about cancelling hotel)

Arizona
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
47 reviews
7. Re: orbitz - has anyone called to cancel flights?

just off phone with Orbitz, and both airlines for our family. Orbitz was no help, I called United and USAirways, and have received full credit thru them, using same conf #.

now to contact Interval......looking to re-book sometime Feb-April.

good luck folks as everyone deals with everything, and thank you everyone here.

8. Re: orbitz - has anyone called to cancel flights?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2015, 05:16