We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SJD Airport? Damage Report?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
123 posts
11 reviews
SJD Airport? Damage Report?

Does anyone know how hard the airport was hit during the hurricane? I am thinking more to get people out of the area who do not need to be there... Not so much about people wanting to fly in for their vacations. The damage from this storm will obviously take a long time to assess and clean up.

Thanks in advance!

rufflife

ESCONDIDO
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: SJD Airport? Damage Report?

If it were my decision I was fly empty planes down there to evacuate people who are stuck. I suspect you could power the control tower with a generator and have the ability to safely get the needed flights in and out.

However in no way shape or form would I allow anybody to fly into there with the exception of relief workers etc. Common sense right?

Edited: 15 September 2014, 20:24
Longmont, Colorado
Level Contributor
24 posts
2. Re: SJD Airport? Damage Report?

A friend of mine sent me this Twitter pic.

https:/…1

So sad for everyone.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
123 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: SJD Airport? Damage Report?

My question was posed as getting people OUT of Cabo, not sending more people into the mess... I am wondering if anyone has heard how the airport fared.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
123 posts
11 reviews
4. Re: SJD Airport? Damage Report?

BoosNews - Thank you for sharing that pic! That picture pretty much says it all.

Ventura, California
Level Contributor
57 posts
9 reviews
5. Re: SJD Airport? Damage Report?

Hope they are able to get the airport up and going soon.for relief efforts.

Edited: 15 September 2014, 20:35
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
25 posts
29 reviews
6. Re: SJD Airport? Damage Report?

Oh god, we are stuck here forever....

San Diego...
Level Contributor
77 posts
15 reviews
7. Re: SJD Airport? Damage Report?

You need runways, ground control, air traffic control, and crowd control to fly people out. Terminals that are damaged are tragic, but not a necessity if getting people out is the objective. I am sure that as governments and the people that make the decisions within them grasp the problem, they will start making the right moves to help with the problem. At least we can hope that happens.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
20 reviews
8. Re: SJD Airport? Damage Report?

I heard from a friend a short while ago that the airport is closed. From the pic she sent me it looks pretty devastated. So sad. :(

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
123 posts
11 reviews
9. Re: SJD Airport? Damage Report?

Exactly. And, I started this thread to find out if there even was any damage to the airport itself... There is a huge difference between minor runway damage and an airport no longer existing. My question was posed to see if anyone in the area had any physical news on the airport. Obviously, there is a lot more to it than just having an airport, and strategies will have to be planned.

ESCONDIDO
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: SJD Airport? Damage Report?

I don't know if LaPaz airport received major damage but if you have a car and the roads are open it might be possible to get out of there.