We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cabo Airport (SJD) Rental Cars, Pricing, etc.

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
198 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Cabo Airport (SJD) Rental Cars, Pricing, etc.

Although there are several discussion threads on Cabo Auto Rentals, I thought it might be helpful to re-post a few links from this forum and other resources related to the often confusing prospect of renting vehicles at the San Jose Del Cabo Airport (SJD).

Although our family has been traveling to Cabo, typically twice per year since 2006, I don’t claim to be an expert on this matter – so others please jump in with suggestions based on their experience. We have learned a great deal reading the forums and taking advice from the Cabo destination experts’ posts.

We prefer to rent a car when in Cabo, giving us greater freedom to explore at our leisure, rather than depending on taxis and airport transportation. (I’ll copy a line from the most interesting man in the world: I don’t always use airport transportation in Cabo, but when I do, I use Cielito Lindo (Adrian & Angeline at cielitolindo2007@gmail.com ) .

The link below is from a good article providing an overview of car rentals in Mexico. sfgate.com/mexico/…page-1

If you go to Priceline or Hotwire and search for a rental car for Spring Break – Pick up on Saturday March 23, and drop off on Saturday March 30, you find what appears to be a terrific deal. When you "check out" on Hotwire, in my "test case", you are offered a Thrifty rental car for $75.09 per week including tax as the “Estimated Trip Total”. You are also offered the option of purchasing a third party CDW/LDW rental car insurance through Allianz for $72 (providing up to $40,000 Collision/Loss Waiver Damage). Interestingly, when you go to Thrifty’s website and read the fine print, Thrifty states that their Mexico car rental licensees do not accept third party insurance, and you will either be required to place a hold of $2,500-$3,500 on your credit card, or you will be required to purchase CDW/LDW from Thrifty for $30-$50 per day (in addition to the mandatory liability). Hotwire does not include the Airport Concession Fee in their “Taxes and Fee’s total (Approximately 18%). So now your $75.09 Hotwire weekly rental deal including mandatory liability, CDW/LDW, Airport Concession Fee, and Tax could approach $380. One important fact to be aware of is that most of the rental car agencies at the Cabo airport, including Hertz, are operating as independent licensee’s, using the corporate sites for booking and marketing. So you are not likely to get anywhere with the corporate rental car company if you have issues with the licensee in Mexico.

Regardless of what type of coverage your credit card or personal auto insurance policy covers, you will be required to carry the mandatory liability insurance of approximately $12 per day. However, most American Express/Travel Rewards/Visa cards include the LDW/CDW coverage in Mexico. Personally, I use the LDW/CDW coverage provided by my Visa Travel Rewards card, and decline the optional coverages offered by the rental car company. (For your credit card to provide coverage, you must pay with the card that provides the coverage and decline the CDW/LDW offered by the rental car company). Visa has an explanation of rental insurance benefits at the Visa website: …visa.com/personal/cards/benefits/bft_dmg_wa… (I carry this explanation of benefits with me when traveling).

Visa also provides a toll free number for for assistance if you have an accident in Mexico: 001-800-847-2911. Check first with your card issuing bank or credit card company to verify your coverage.

This sounds like a broken record, however, there is a reason you see so many recommendations for the trusted “go to” providers: Luis at Alamo, Antonio at Cactus, and Dominic at Dominic Los Cabos (Find the contact info in a reply by PacificNWFamily at: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g152515-i84-k5021823-Rental_Car_question-Cabo_San_Lucas_Los_Cabos_Baja_California.html)

I have not used Dominic, however, he gets positive raves for his convenience, pricing, and service. I have repeatedly used Alamo and now Antonio at Cactus, and have had consistently positive experiences and great customer service. The price you are quoted is the price you pay. (Fortunately, I have never had an accident, so I cannot speak to the response of the rental car company in that situation).

Driving in Cabo is relatively easy (just don't assume a stop sign means that cross traffic will actually stop!), however, as with anything, you improve your chances of a positive experience when you are prepared and deal with a reputable agency.

498 replies to this topic
L O
Hawaii
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
461. Re: Cabo Airport (SJD) Rental Cars, Pricing, etc.

Alamo is the way to go! Just got back from Cabo and the price we booked with Alamo online was exactly the price we paid. We put the third party liability insurance on at booking and the week rental came out to be about $150.

When we arrived we walked out of the airport and across the street to board the Alamo van that took us around the corner to rental area. No games....no extra prices.....easy easy.....highly recommend them.

San Diego...
1 post
Save Reply
462. Re: Cabo Airport (SJD) Rental Cars, Pricing, etc.

We used CACTUS CAR RENTAL, is was a easy process, great experience, and price was EXACTLY as quoted. No hidden fees, or hidden insurance charges.

I can recommend His car rental.

463. Re: Cabo Airport (SJD) Rental Cars, Pricing, etc.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 October 2017, 01:05

San Diego...
1 post
Save Reply
464. Re: Cabo Airport (SJD) Rental Cars, Pricing, etc.

Just got back from 8 days. We used Cabosuvrental and they were great. Just as advertised. They picked us up curbside at the airport and we were on our way in minutes. The SUV performed perfectly. They provided a free cell phone for emergencies but it was never needed. I was expecting a slightly newer model Explorer but it worked like a charm and its nice to be in a car that's not easily identified as a 'rental car'. I will definitely use them again next year.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
465. Re: Cabo Airport (SJD) Rental Cars, Pricing, etc.

Hi--it would be great if you could post a link to the more updated threads? I am wanting to book for this winter and I was wondering whether the 2013 recommendations for Cactus etc. are still valid...?

Shelton, Washington
Level Contributor
177 posts
Save Reply
466. Re: Cabo Airport (SJD) Rental Cars, Pricing, etc.

Foreverparis - Do a search on car rentals and you will come up with dozens of updated threads.

Mex, BBB and Dominicloscabos.com, Cactus and Alamo are some of the recommended rental companies

Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
15,881 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
467. Re: Cabo Airport (SJD) Rental Cars, Pricing, etc.

Foreverparis ...........As Passman Stated the last 50 or so posts are CURRENT with enormous amounts of info.

You could start a new Post asking for people who just rented this week.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
468. Re: Cabo Airport (SJD) Rental Cars, Pricing, etc.

Thanks passman and Rocky G--I found them!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
93 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
469. Re: Cabo Airport (SJD) Rental Cars, Pricing, etc.

I just got back yesterday and rented for the first time from Mex rental car also known as ACE.... I usually use Cactus, but given the reviews on this board, thought I would give them a try...

The did a great job... very nice car and bit cheaper... all taxes a fees and insurance total was 206. for the week for a mid size car... probably a good 50.00 cheaper that cactus and very nice people with good cars.. no hassle...

Shelton, Washington
Level Contributor
177 posts
Save Reply
470. Re: Cabo Airport (SJD) Rental Cars, Pricing, etc.

paul30 - That's good to hear, I arrive Saturday (11/11) and have a nine day rental with Mex

Reply to: Cabo Airport (SJD) Rental Cars, Pricing, etc.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted