We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any "safe" timeshare presentations?

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Any "safe" timeshare presentations?

We have time shares, would like to "look" but not buy this time around - like the freebies - any timeshare presentations that held good to their word on what was promised? What was promised and what was delivered?

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: Any "safe" timeshare presentations?

Hacienda Encantada and Pueblo Bonita Sunset are two that we have done in the last two years. We went for cash, a blanket, and a bottle of Tequilla. Both places delivered. Safe all depends on your ability to say no :-) We like the opportunity to see other resorts but like you, have no need for another timeshare at this time!

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Any "safe" timeshare presentations?

Thank you! Any others? How much cash is a "normal" acceptable amount? Where did they "find" you?

Southern Province...
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
3. Re: Any "safe" timeshare presentations?

Actually I think they all are "safe"". One hears a lot of horror stories. I would steer clear of Mayan Palace and their subsideries. Very pushy and uncomfortable. The rest are great. They have a good product and it is great to see the different properties. They are bound by law to give you what is promised. That is why they go over it a few times by different people with you prior to your presentation. Have fun! We usually do a time share presentation or two early in the trip when we want to stay out of the sun.

Southern Province...
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
4. Re: Any "safe" timeshare presentations?

Usually $200 a couple in cash or ammenities.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
12 reviews
5. Re: Any "safe" timeshare presentations?

Anywhere from $200-$300. We arrange with the same guy each year...on the beach in front of Cascadas...can't remember his name....very curly hair.

Texas
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
49 reviews
6. Re: Any "safe" timeshare presentations?

The only safe one's are the one's you don't attend.

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
8,197 posts
17 reviews
7. Re: Any "safe" timeshare presentations?

IMO... if you're going just for 'freebies' your wasting your time and thiers, spending a couple of hours in a time share presentation for a bottle of tequila or souvenir would be time better spent on the beach.

Riverside, CA
Level Contributor
712 posts
15 reviews
8. Re: Any "safe" timeshare presentations?

JNS, while I agree that vacation time is valuable, it's sincerely more than a bottle of tequila and a blanket. I have negotiated $400 USD for a 90 minute presentation. I do not believe that in current economic times that $400 is possible but I believe that $300 could be. Just a matter of what your time is worth. I have basically had my airfare and meals paid for by spending a couple of hours each or three mornings in timeshare presentations. Wyoming, I think most are safe but I would not go to the Grand Lux ( they are very guilty of high pressure and not honoring the 90 minute commitment) or any presentation that will take you too San Jose. If you can stay in Cabo, travel time is greatly reduced.

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
8,197 posts
17 reviews
9. Re: Any "safe" timeshare presentations?

Well your probably a better salesman that the person giving the timeshare presentation. Most 'freebies' are a bottle, meal, massage or day trip: negotiating $$$ is not as common. Good luck!

Beaumont, California
Level Contributor
470 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: Any "safe" timeshare presentations?

JNSgraphic has no clue. Negotiating money is what they do. We get 300.00 and 200.00 in food vouchers. Its nice to see another resort. You can see the different rooms and pool and check out the grounds. I dont see it as a waste of time. Plus the people who sign you up get a bonus even if you dont buy. Its good for the economy.