We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

booking online

Monterey CA
4 posts
Save Topic
booking online

Has anyone ever had trouble booking a room through Expedia or Orbitz? We want to book a room at Casa Dorada and I am wondering if I should book through the hotel website directly, or book with an online travel agency....which would be cheaper?

Mentioned in this post
Casa Dorada Los Cabos Resort & Spa
Casa Dorada Los Cabos...
2,176 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Puyallup, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,507 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: booking online

It is always cheaper to book directly with a timeshare owner who is looking to rent their place! Casa Dorada is a timeshare resort and you will pay big bucks when the resort is trying to fill a space that an owner is not using. Look at sites like www.vrbo.com or www.redweek.com. Casa Dorada does not always have the inventory that some of the other resorts do but take a look and see.

For example Playa Grande will charge $450 per night for their 1 bed/2 bath units. I am renting one from an owner next week for $700 for the entire week.

Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Casa Dorada Los Cabos...
2,176 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Playa Grande Resort
Playa Grande Resort
4,349 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Monterey CA
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: booking online

Thanks for the advice! I will definetly check out those websites.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: booking online

I'm in a somewhat similar situation... haven't traveled yet, but I'll give you my 2 cents from experiences in the past...

I definitely agree that doing timeshares through owners is always a better way to go. What I've found from experience though (spent lotsa time in Hawaii) is that the more quantifiers/requirements you put on your trip, the harder it is to pull that off. For instance, I wanted to go to Cabo for very specific (ie, inflexible) dates, and really wanted to stay at the Dorada. So I looked for timeshare availability, but didn't find any.

Then in looking at package vendors (expedia, orbitz, travelocity) and comparing that with purchasing them independently direct from vendor, orbitz blew them all out of the water - they've got a sale one right now... check it out ;) Not even an airfare promo code or the travel agent I've worked with for years could touch the price that they gave me, so I booked this time through orbitz. I travel late July/early august, so I'll let you know how it goes.

5 nights/6 days at Casa Dorada (late july/early august), RT airfare for two from PDX = $750pp

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Casa Dorada Los Cabos...
2,176 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Puyallup, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,507 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: booking online

Make sure that they booked you at the right Casa Dorada. There are 3 of them in the Los Cabos area. The one right on Medano beach is Casa Dorada Los Cabos.

Mentioned in this post
Casa Dorada Los Cabos...
2,176 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Los Cabos
Los Cabos
Baja California Sur, Mexico
Medano Beach
Medano Beach
3,795 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: booking online

Househunter brings up an "Excellent Point"

It's very confusing how Casa Dorada markets their properties. They are marketed as;

a) casa dorada medano beach

b) casa dorada "Dreams property"

c) casa dorada golf and tennis spa (this property has been popping back up in the casa dorada network)...

Properties (b) and (c) are "Far Off" from being in the heart of Cabo.

G-Day Mate

Mentioned in this post
Casa Dorada Los Cabos...
2,176 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
6. Re: booking online

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2009, 07:23