We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hidden Cabo: Batrays

Los Cabos
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Topic
Hidden Cabo: Batrays

The Batrays are putting on a show in front of matapules casa this morning. These critters are 2 to 3 ft. across and are quite common and totally harmless. This morning there is a school of about 200 of them flying straight up out of the water to a height of 6 or 7 ft. The surface water is all churned up. There are a number of theories why they do this from escaping predators to knocking parasites off their skin to just playing around. Scientists don't agree. This is not a frequent sight, but it is not uncommon either. It usually occurs during the summer months when the water warms up.

I think I'll pull out the binoculars, pop open a Tecate for lunch, pull up a chair, and watch the show.

Olympia, WA
Level Contributor
10,064 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hidden Cabo: Batrays

matapule, I'm a fisheries scientist and I know the answer to why they're flying out of the water. They're in Los Cabos to party like everybody else. Check carefully with your binoculars and you will see that all of them are wearing tiny little sombreros and have icy cold Sol beers under their fins.

Mentioned in this post
Los Cabos
Los Cabos
Baja California Sur, Mexico
San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,010 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hidden Cabo: Batrays

Too Funny

Cabo Pulmo, Mexico
Level Contributor
684 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hidden Cabo: Batrays

Yea, sounds cutesy now,

But, wait 'til they wake you up in the middle of the night,... use the bathroom,... raid the refridgerator :)

Los Cabos
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hidden Cabo: Batrays

ElJefe, I did check more closely with the binocs, and you are right.....little sombreros and cervezas! But what is strange is that there was an unidentified TA member out there with them splashing around.......little sombrero and a six pack! (Wouldn't be the first time!)

This place is great.

Hemet, California
Level Contributor
667 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Hidden Cabo: Batrays

OK on the more serious side ;) What is the sting ray population in Cabo? I had a friend stung once who is coming to Cabo with us and thought I could pass this info on to her...

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Los Cabos
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hidden Cabo: Batrays

Batrays are not sting rays. Although they have a tail that can sting, Batrays are essentially harmless to humans since they tend to occupy deeper waters where people who are wading won't encounter them. They are non-aggresive. Read about them here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bat_ray The Batrays I saw this morning were a couple hundred yards off shore where the water is over 100 ft. deep.

Sting rays tend to inhabit shallower waters and someone can get stung if you step on one when wading along the shore. The good news is I haven't heard of anyone being stung in the Los Cabos area. There are lots of sting rays along the beaches in the La Paz area and I hear of frequent stings over there. The stings are very painful but not lethal.

Tell your friend to come on down to Cabo and not worry about getting stung. She'll be fine.

Mentioned in this post
Los Cabos
Los Cabos
La Paz
La Paz
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
8,364 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hidden Cabo: Batrays

I love the rays. I often see them jumping around right past the surf in front of Playa Grande. I have also seen a lot of them when fishing as well. Some can get extremely large. Don't know if they are bat rays or a different kind of ray since there are so many types of rays and they all look alike to me.

Here's a link to some photos of rays jumping:

http://www.malbertphoto.com/mobulas1.html

Here's a video of them jumping:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8A4rpv3kN0

Rays are truly beautiful creatures.

Mentioned in this post
Playa Grande Resort
Playa Grande Resort
4,278 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Hemet, California
Level Contributor
667 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Hidden Cabo: Batrays

These are the Big Manta Rays. I have been out there fishing and watching a few isolated Rays jump. It is pretty cool to watch!

Mentioned in this post
Manta at The Cape, a Thompson Hotel
Manta at The Cape, a...
483 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Los Cabos
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hidden Cabo: Batrays

Donna, the still pictures are of Manta Rays. The video is of Bat Rays. If you look closely at the video you can see the little sombreros and a cerveza under a wing.

Mentioned in this post
Manta at The Cape, a Thompson Hotel
Manta at The Cape, a...
483 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
8,364 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hidden Cabo: Batrays

ROFLOL!

Well, at least now I know how to tell the difference. ;)