We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute Cabo tips

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Last minute Cabo tips

Hi everyone,

Thanks to all of your great recommendations, I am leaving this Saturday for a one week trip to Cabo! It's my very first time and I'm going alone -- staying at Pueblo Bonito Blanco. Being a single female as well as a rookie Mexico trip-taker, I am a bit overwhelmed trying to think of all the details! Some questions/tips:

1. I planned to bring a couple hundred in cash and exchange it to pesos at the airport. Otherwise I plan to use my ATM card to get more cash and to use a credit card if needed.

2. Other than the obvious -- lock up valuables, keep purse tight, be careful when walking alone, etc. -- are there any safety tips I should consider?

3. I'm not renting a car -- will I be close enough to any stores on foot to load up on some groceries so I don't need to eat out every meal?

4. Cell phone/iphone -- Wifi or internet readily available or not worth bringing?

5. I signed up for a snorkeling trip and am looking to add a sunset cruise one night too, but otherwise I plan to just wing it and relax. Any MUSTS I should definitely add?

Any tips would be great! I am SO excited for my trip!

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Pueblo Bonito Los Cabos Beach Resort
Pueblo Bonito Los Cabos...
3,851 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last minute Cabo tips

I don't think you'll get a very good exchange rate at the airport. You can exchange at PB Blanco but you will loose a bit there as well. There is a Santander Bank at the Aramburo Plaza right in downtown that I got a good rate at, the first week of June. Some banks are no longer exchanging dollars for pesos but some still are.

If you qualify, you should consider attending the timeshare presentation at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach. You'll get resort/restaurant credits for the PB resorts worth about $200, maybe more. It's fairly low pressure sales. When you see the resort, you'll understand why. It pretty much sells itself. Even if you don't attend the presentation you should still take the free shuttle over there just to check the place out. Try and hit the sky pool there at sunset. Once you see that, you'll be back.

Great fish taco's can be had at Gardina's (sp?). You should get pretty close to it if you walk downtown from Blanco. It is down the street from the McDonalds.

Pez Gato has a good Sunset cruise, so does Tropicat (wine & jazz & pretty laid back). We've also enjoyed the one on SunRiders.

Mentioned in this post
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach Golf & Spa Resort
Pueblo Bonito Sunset...
11,302 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
227 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last minute Cabo tips

You can exchange your money, but we rarely do. US dollars are widely accepted. If you're are going to use US currency, make sure to have lots of small bills, $1's and $5's.

I vote for the Tropicat sunset cruise as well - very easy going --- jazz and good wine!

Enjoy your trip!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last minute Cabo tips

I would agree that you certainly don't have to change your dollars to pesos. We do it for 2 reasons. (1) Out of respect for the citizens of Mexico (it's their National currency). (2) You will get the best bang for your buck if it is in pesos. I don't know of a single vendor, restaurant, or business that will take dollars at the official exchange rate for that day. If the official rate is 13:1 for that day, then the business will exchange your dollars at 12 or 12.5:1 or perhaps even less if they can get away with it.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
3,860 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last minute Cabo tips

Hi Beth,

I hope you have a great time! Im sure you will enjoy Cabo and you will have many return trips! Pueblo bonito is so quaint, relaxing and close to town.

Try to use your debit card at the santander bank and get the best exchange (if you are a Bank of america customer its free). Dont use the machine at Pueblo bonito rose, there is a $15 out of county fee...

Keep your stuff in the safe in your room (even though I feel like the blanco is very safe - most employees have been there for years and years)......when you go out, just take a credit card and some cash, no need to carry a purse around (unless you prefer)

You can buy groceries at the aramburo store (next to sandtander bank) and taxi back...

* we usually refill a water bottle or two in the gym there at blanco

If you are accustom to checking email and such bring your iphone. You can get free wireless in your room - make sure you call your provider (assuming its at&t and get on their Mexico plan for $4.99, it saves the calling rate from .99 a mintue to .59 a minute....turn off your data roaming to make sure you are using the free wireless..... I love having my phone with me just for some quick browsing...Im a geek!

Definitely eat at Las Gardenias (fairly close to blanco) and of course Gordo Leles in town. I also highly recommend sitting at the little walk up bar called Sangrias right next to giggling Marlin - its a great place for people watching and meeting people - Fernando the bartender is a really nice guy!

Most importantly have fun and let us know how your trip is going!!!

relax on the beach and ENJOY!

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Pueblo Bonito Los Cabos Beach Resort
Pueblo Bonito Los Cabos...
3,851 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Gardenias
Gardenias
1,082 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Giggling Marlin
Giggling Marlin
282 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
69,241 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last minute Cabo tips

Ditto what they said! One more tip about getting Mexico added to your wireless plan. It's $4.99 a month, but you'll only need to activate it for a week (or a bit more if you activate a day or two before you leave and cancel on your return.) So it's really only $1.50 or so for the week and it really saves on calls you might make.

Musts....

...walk on Medano Beach at sunrise or sunset or whenever.

...ask Javier (Gordo Lele) to sing you a song.

...walk around town. Poke your head in different stores. Try a word or two of Spanish. Relax & have fun.

This is my favorite way from the Blanco to town: http://tinyurl.com/mwlkte Walk thru the parking lot, go left toward the ME Cabo thru a gate, to the front of the ME, then turn right down their sidewalk. Some folks walk past the front of the ME Cabo without turning toward the sidewalk, but that side road doesn't have much space for pedestrians. (When we were in Cabo in April, the road construction sent ALL the traffic past the Blanco and I hated to walk on that road with all the cars. The ME sidewalk route is much more calm.)

Have a wonderful trip!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Medano Beach
Medano Beach
3,795 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
ME Cabo by Melia
ME Cabo by Melia
1,523 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last minute Cabo tips

One note about that aforementioned gate between the ME and Blanco. While it has been several years for us since we have been that way, they did have a habit of closing & locking that gate sometime after 8pm. When that happened to us, we were lucky that a parking lot guard took pity on us and unlocked it so that we could pass through. Otherwise, it would have been a long walk back out and then around to the other side of Blanco.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
69,241 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Last minute Cabo tips

Good info about that gate. We're not night owls, so we never return to the Blanco very late. I suppose if it's far into the evening you might just want to take a taxi back from town for $7. (Find a friend or two and share one ~ they're huge vans!) In April 2007 the Blanco driveway was closed and all the vehicles had to come thru that little gate, so it was always open.

Another great way to return back to the Blanco in the evening is on Medano Beach. The street along the side of Casa Dorada had luminaries (candles) on the walkway leading to the beach, then just walk with your toes in the water as you head back to your Blanco home. Ahhhh.

Mentioned in this post
Medano Beach
Medano Beach
3,795 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Casa Dorada Los Cabos Resort & Spa
Casa Dorada Los Cabos...
2,176 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Seattle
Level Contributor
50,126 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Last minute Cabo tips

I went to Cabo for the first time this past February (female/solo). I have a great time. I did not feel any concerns about personal safety. I was staying downtown and walked everywhere alone, all hours of the day and night. It's more a sleepy feeling town. I would worry only if you were going drinking at night at places like Cabo Wabo, that seemed a little "iffy" to be doing solo.

I would not change money at the airport unless you need it to pay for transportation. I mostly used my ATM card to withdraw peso directly. I changed cash at the cambio (used to be the AmEx) at Tesoro hotel.

Sure you CAN spend in USD but you lose money every time you do!! The current rate of exchange is above 13/1 and most businesses only give 10/1, 12/1 or so. I spend all cash/all peso. I only use my credit card to pay the hotel tab.

I don't have a cell phone & didn't take my laptop. I went to an internet cafe near my hotel that was VERY cheap to send/receive emails and post on TA!

Any specific questions about going to Mexico solo female, just ask. I've done it often :) suze

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Cabo Wabo
Cabo Wabo
5,212 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Tesoro Los Cabos
Tesoro Los Cabos
2,223 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Last minute Cabo tips

I wouldn't walk back from town to the Blanco after dark by myself. Just over-cautious I guess. Daytime I wouldn't think twice about it.

I'd take a pedi-cab ~ they usually hang out at the mall. Cheaper and more fun than a taxi.

10. Re: Last minute Cabo tips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2009, 05:19