We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the Tatoosh still there?

Idaho
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Is the Tatoosh still there?

During our week in Cabo (5/21 - 5/28) there was a HUGE yacht anchored in the bay - complete its own a helicopter and sailboat. I took some pics of it from Lover's Beach, and also some close-ups during our sunset cruise. We asked around while we were down there, and somebody told us it belonged to the family that owns Guess Jeans.

Maybe everybody else already knows this, but I've since learned that the yacht is the Tatoosh, is actually owned by Paul Allen (Microsoft), and is the 12th largest megayacht in the world. I don't know whether to be impressed by it, or disgusted at the excess. But since I know that Allen has donated hundreds of millions to charity, I'll cut him some slack (plus he owns my favorite pro football team).

Is the Tatoosh still in Cabo?

Idaho
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
11. Re: Is the Tatoosh still there?

Cabocanuck - A little googling turned up that the Aussie Rules came in at 43rd on the list in 2004 at 228 feet, and recently was sold by Norman to Florida billionaire Wayne Huizenga.

That kind of money is just mind-boggling.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
26,011 posts
68 reviews
12. Re: Is the Tatoosh still there?

LOL! That's great!

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
26,011 posts
68 reviews
13. Re: Is the Tatoosh still there?

Speaking of owning homes-does anyone know if Sly was in residence the middle of May? The lights were on at his place the last few days we were there, and I am nosey as heck!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
400 posts
9 reviews
14. Re: Is the Tatoosh still there?

We saw it! We brought binoculars and gawked at it for a while. We thought it was Bill Gate's...well, close enough, right?

Amanda

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
26,011 posts
68 reviews
15. Re: Is the Tatoosh still there?

I have tried the binocs before, but think I really needed the Hubble telescope! Oh well, someone was there enjoying that great view!

Idaho
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
16. Re: Is the Tatoosh still there?

There are some great pics of the Tatoosh at Cabo San Lucas in this thread (just scroll toward the bottom):

powerandmotoryacht.zeroforum.com/zerothread…

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
210 posts
36 reviews
17. Re: Is the Tatoosh still there?

Just got back from Cabo today and I saw the Tatoosh in the harbor yesterday!

California
Level Contributor
729 posts
4 reviews
18. Re: Is the Tatoosh still there?

Great photos on that website!

Hey, I noticed another yacht on that website, the Lady Moura, even larger than the Tatoosh. I actually stood next to it for a photo in Monte Carlo about five years ago!!! I thought it was the largest ship I had ever seen. Saudi Arabian owner, from what the crew told us. It was amazing. From my memory, they said it had a crew of over 95 people to take care of the owners every need. It cruised into ports, and he would fly his family in.. for a day or two whenever they needed to.

I need that kind of money, just so I can hang out in Mexico for half the year!

Hasta.....

seattle
Level Contributor
11 posts
19. Re: Is the Tatoosh still there?

I was just down there in May also (20th-27th) and saw the Tatoosh in the bay. It is quite unbelievable. We rented some jet-skis and rode right up to the boat. Besides the helicopter, it also has a sailboat on one side and another power boat on the other. He actually bought the boat from Craig McCaw (wireless biz man who sold his company which became AT&T wireless) It is reported Allen paid around $200 million -- and that is before Allen did a bunch of renovations.

He also owns the #1 largest yacht in the world -- the Octopus. 414ft!

And he owns his own hangar here in Seattle filled with fighter planes. But hey, who wouldn't with $20 billion.