We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel advice for traveling to Cabo with 2 autistic boys

Travel advice for traveling to Cabo with 2 autistic boys

HI there,

We are a family of four and both our boys have mild autism. We have a 7yo who is a little slow and communication is so so. We have a 4yo who can communicate well but can easily get disregulated. We are staying in a hotel with lots of pools but I was hoping to find some adventures that may be suitable for them (one a day or so). I very actively take my boys out and into events here in the states. We are staying thanksgiving week at Pueblo bonito.

Any suggestions for adventures that seem organized and flexible enough for two autistic boys? I would love any suggestions! Thanks in advance!

7 replies to this topic
Vancouver BC
Level Contributor
4,725 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Travel advice for traveling to Cabo with 2 autistic boys

I can't suggest what is suitable for your boys, but I can give you a link to lots of tours and activities and hopefully you will be able to pick out those activities that are suitable.

https://www.cabosanlucastours.net/

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
71,907 posts
132 reviews
2. Re: Travel advice for traveling to Cabo with 2 autistic boys

Hi again

Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach?

3. Re: Travel advice for traveling to Cabo with 2 autistic boys

Yes! Have you been there?

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
71,907 posts
132 reviews
4. Re: Travel advice for traveling to Cabo with 2 autistic boys

Hi again

I have spent part of a day there, but it doesn't match my travel style. Many folks love the variety of pools, the great views, the lovely suites, and maybe the rides in golf carts. I prefer to swim in the ocean and be walking distance to town. You can take the free shuttle (get tickets!) to sister resort PB Rose and then enjoy the ocean & walking to town.

5. Re: Travel advice for traveling to Cabo with 2 autistic boys

We were thinking the swimming may be good for the boys once they are done with traveling for the day.

However, we are not doing the all inclusive package--we are using our friends timeshare. My husband and I prefer eating in town and would love to get the kids to play in the ocean. You mentioned Pueblo Bonito Rose--is the surf gentler there? My older son can swim a little but our younger child will be in a life vest. They love the ocean so I would love to find a place where I don't have to worry so much about rip tides...

Springfield...
Level Contributor
5,583 posts
99 reviews
6. Re: Travel advice for traveling to Cabo with 2 autistic boys

You absolutely CAN NOT swim in the ocean at SSB. You can however swim in the ocean at the Rose, most of the time anyway. As PNW mentioned, get tickets for the free shuttle. You need to get them ahead of time as the shuttles will fill up. They can only transport from SSB to Rose, no stopping in between, and they are picky about what you can bring on the bus. You can bring your beach bag but not shopping bags, etc.

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
71,907 posts
132 reviews
7. Re: Travel advice for traveling to Cabo with 2 autistic boys

Usually the water in front of the Rose is okay. The beach has a gentler slope (and thus the waves are not so bad) if you walk closer to the marina.

But I would watch them carefully. You may not have a rip tide but you might have a big sneaker wave. (The 7 year old might feel better in a PFD or at least with a floatie. I bring an inflatable pool noodle or ring with me.... more relaxing to enjoy the ocean when you know you'll be floating.)

Many folks like to take a water taxi tour of the land features ... Lovers Beach, Pelican Rock, Lands End, the Arch, etc.

You might want to take a sunset cruise, but some might be too much for your boys. I know some kids like a pirate cruise.

Reply to: Travel advice for traveling to Cabo with 2 autistic boys
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted