We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whales

Van Nuys, CA
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
11 reviews
Whales

We will be in Cabo for New Years. Does anyone know the best time of day for Whale sightings? We are staying on Solmar Beach Lands End. This trip we are not taking a Whale Watch excursion, I'm bringing binoculars and was hoping I could see some Whales from the pool area next to the beach.

4 replies to this topic
St James, New York
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
17,856 posts
176 reviews
1. Re: Whales

You will see plenty of whales from the beach in late December !

A few early whales are in late November.

Dec 15 is the Official start of the Whale Watching season. It runs until April 15.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,974 posts
66 reviews
2. Re: Whales

I agree-you will see them from your balcony and the beach. My 'winter' week is late Nov/early Dec. and when I've been there then I have seen plenty of them, so by the time you go you won't have any problem spotting them! Enjoy!!

The Woodlands, Texas
Level Contributor
181 posts
30 reviews
3. Re: Whales

That stretch of beach is wonderful for watching them from shore; you have to be vigilant and look for a spout then focus your binoculars on that area of water. My favorite activity is a margarita in one hand, binocs in another. Get some good binocs.

No particular times and no particular spots although they seem to die down around 4'ish; they swim very fast. On occasion you can see spouts as high as a building way out which could be Blue Whales.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,974 posts
66 reviews
4. Re: Whales

Years ago-on one of my many stays at the original, beautiful old Solmar, I was out by the pool, just standing and looking out to sea, when an Orca breached 3 times, very close to the shore (it has a steep drop from the beach) and it was spectacular! One of the most treasured memories from those days. I've not seen an Orca there since!

At any rate-you won't be disappointed!

Reply to: Whales
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted