We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety

tualatin, oregon
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Safety

From Portland, Or. How do you fly into to san carlos? Or directions to get to san carlos? Is it in a dangerous area? Do you feel safe there?

3 replies to this topic
tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,636 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety

San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico, on the east coast of the Sea of Cortez, does not have an airport. The closest international airport with connections to/from the US is Hermosillo, about 90 miles and 1.5 hours north. It is a safe place visited by many from the US.

I have seen many people comment that they have taken taxis from the Hermosillo airport to San Carlos.

IMO the lack of accessibility is one reason why San Carlos remains a calm and quiet place.

There is an airport in Guaymas 12 miles from San Carlos, however no flights from the US connecting there. two Mexican airlines operate between Hermosillo and Guaymas. So it would be possible to fly to Guaymas, however would take a bit of research to find a flight to catch in Hermosillo, as there are no connections.

Guaymas, Mexico
Level Contributor
626 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety

Our family is coming to San Carlos today from Seattle, WA. They are catching an early morning (5:00am) flight to Phoenix and then a flight to Hermosillo. We are picking them up in Hermosillo at 11:15. That is the way you do it. A taxi from the Hermosillo Airport right to your location in San Carlos runs 1400 pesos (for the car not for each passenger.) That is around $75 US. You can also take a cab to the Tufesa bus station and catch a bus to Guaymas for around $10.00 but you will need a cab to San Carlos. I don´t recommend the bus to San Carlos if it is your first time because it is more complicated. I am not sure what the taxi from Guaymas costs. We have decided in the last few years that it is worth it after a long flight into Hermosillo to take a Taxi; but, we used to take the bus and it is easily doable especially if you have a friend to pick you up in Guaymas.

San Carlos is not a dangerous area. We live here 6 months a year and have done so since 2006. For that matter, we do not find the neighboring city Guaymas to be dangerous either. That does not mean crime doesn´t happen but there is probably less crime here than in Seattle where we live in the summer.

I would be happy to answer any questions you have about San Carlos.

Arizona City...
Level Contributor
465 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety

We live in Tucson and have driven to San Carlos three times in the last 6 years. It's about a seven hour drive. We have always felt completely safe on the drive there and on the drive back. As well as the entire time while being in San Carlos. There are many many people who drive there on a regular basis. We went scuba diving with a dive shop that is based both in Tucson and in San Carlos Mexico. The owner was telling us to how often they make the Trek back and forth on a regular basis with no problems for the past 20 to 30 years. My stepmother has been driving down there to scuba dive for close to 40 years. Never an issue.

Reply to: Safety
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about San Carlos
Recent Conversations