We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety

tualatin, oregon
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Safety

From Portland, Or. How do you fly into to san carlos? Or directions to get to san carlos? Is it in a dangerous area? Do you feel safe there?

11 replies to this topic
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,892 posts
91 reviews
1. Re: Safety

San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico, on the east coast of the Sea of Cortez, does not have an airport. The closest international airport with connections to/from the US is Hermosillo, about 90 miles and 1.5 hours north. It is a safe place visited by many from the US.

I have seen many people comment that they have taken taxis from the Hermosillo airport to San Carlos.

IMO the lack of accessibility is one reason why San Carlos remains a calm and quiet place.

There is an airport in Guaymas 12 miles from San Carlos, however no flights from the US connecting there. two Mexican airlines operate between Hermosillo and Guaymas. So it would be possible to fly to Guaymas, however would take a bit of research to find a flight to catch in Hermosillo, as there are no connections.

Guaymas, Mexico
Level Contributor
668 posts
37 reviews
2. Re: Safety

Our family is coming to San Carlos today from Seattle, WA. They are catching an early morning (5:00am) flight to Phoenix and then a flight to Hermosillo. We are picking them up in Hermosillo at 11:15. That is the way you do it. A taxi from the Hermosillo Airport right to your location in San Carlos runs 1400 pesos (for the car not for each passenger.) That is around $75 US. You can also take a cab to the Tufesa bus station and catch a bus to Guaymas for around $10.00 but you will need a cab to San Carlos. I don´t recommend the bus to San Carlos if it is your first time because it is more complicated. I am not sure what the taxi from Guaymas costs. We have decided in the last few years that it is worth it after a long flight into Hermosillo to take a Taxi; but, we used to take the bus and it is easily doable especially if you have a friend to pick you up in Guaymas.

San Carlos is not a dangerous area. We live here 6 months a year and have done so since 2006. For that matter, we do not find the neighboring city Guaymas to be dangerous either. That does not mean crime doesn´t happen but there is probably less crime here than in Seattle where we live in the summer.

I would be happy to answer any questions you have about San Carlos.

Arizona City...
Level Contributor
469 posts
35 reviews
3. Re: Safety

We live in Tucson and have driven to San Carlos three times in the last 6 years. It's about a seven hour drive. We have always felt completely safe on the drive there and on the drive back. As well as the entire time while being in San Carlos. There are many many people who drive there on a regular basis. We went scuba diving with a dive shop that is based both in Tucson and in San Carlos Mexico. The owner was telling us to how often they make the Trek back and forth on a regular basis with no problems for the past 20 to 30 years. My stepmother has been driving down there to scuba dive for close to 40 years. Never an issue.

Goodyear, Arizona
Level Contributor
5 posts
20 reviews
4. Re: Safety

Update as of Aug-November 2018, The US Government prohibits its employees from travel to Guaymas San Carlos. As Of Dec 2019, They will have a changing of the guards. A new President steps in! First time ever in the history of Mexico will thy now have a brand new political party running Mexico, Worth doing some research.

San Carlos is still a quaint very inexpensive place to vacation. Many retired people live in San Carlos. IS IT SAFE? San Carlos itself is safe, however, all towns surrounding San Carlos are not safe at this time. San Carlos in My opinion, right now due to Cartel/police war, it's not safe to travel South of Hermosillo. Do many still make the trip Yep. Just be well aware of the dangers you could face.... Guaymas San Carlos used to be a very safe place to visit. The security level is now rated a # 2. Travel advisory. #1 is the highest you can get! People have a false sense of security and their Government does a good job to hide the fact they there are Major issues in this region, Why ( I live there by the way!)because they are not willing to give up YOUR HARD EARNED TOURIST BUCK! So be very informed! Many in San Carlos who ARE either snowbirds or longtime residents refuse to acknowledge that the sleepy little town is no more. Some will continue to believe that everything is rainbows and Unicorns. Do your research via google news about Guaymas Mexico!!! SAN CARLOS IS part of Guaymas. San Carlos is not its own city. All I'm saying is do your homework and research well before making any drastic decisions like coming down to live! The law does not require full disclosure when purchasing property in Mexico And if it did, the law is not followed like in the States. San Carlos has been beautiful, clean and a relatively safe place for me and my family for the past 14 years..... However, Time to sell my investment. When things calm down, can always travel for vacation, hopefully again someday.

W Colorado
Level Contributor
8 posts
13 reviews
5. Re: Safety

Hello and thanks for the prudent cautionary notes. Would you consider it safe to drive from Tuscon to Sand Carlos, during daylight hours, around the first of the year? With or without company (i.e. convoy)?

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
52 posts
11 reviews
6. Re: Safety

Hmm. We're leaving for San Carlos this weekend. We'll drive only in daylight. Any other tips to stay safe for those who decide to make the trip?

Guaymas, Mexico
Level Contributor
668 posts
37 reviews
7. Re: Safety

Well, I am not there right now but I will be heading down on the 26th of October. It is a 4 lane highway. We come and go every year and I do not expect to take any more precautions than normal. We leave plenty of time for the drive between Tucson and San Carlos which should get us there in the afternoon. We are always very cognizant of the speed limits especially in Hermosillo. Yellow lights are not ¨hit the gas pedal and go very fast¨ but ¨slow down and stop¨ even if many Mexicans have adopted the US ¨hurry through them¨ approach. We will gas up in the US before crossing, stop at K21 for our tourist cards, go to the restrooms at the toll booth stops just like we always do. There was a shooting a couple of weeks ago in Guaymas and several police officers were killed. It is very discouraging especially for my Mexican friends that live in Guaymas (San Carlos is about a 25 minute drive from Guaymas.) But I will still be visiting them. As far as living down here, we do for six months but it is not for everyone and I always recommend that people rent first and try it out to see if it is their cup of tea. The natural beauty is incredible.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
52 posts
11 reviews
8. Re: Safety

Thanks. We've visited numerous times, but this will be only our 2nd time driving. I love going this time of year to snorkel with all the bait fish that come in near the shore.

Goodyear, Arizona
Level Contributor
5 posts
20 reviews
9. Re: Safety

Yes, But as always use caution, There is still roaadwork on the highway. (Excellnt almost finished newly built 4 lanes of hoghway all the way down. Bottom line is Yes, The intire tate of Sonora has become more active with drug and violance. Its MEXICO! I would highly reccomend driving during daylight hours only. I think one ispretty safe if they STAY ON THE MAIN HIGHWAYS! ( hWY 15 AND 2.

Also, Id like to remind you that dispite what some others may tell you, MEXICO is still a third wold country! Corruption an crime is a way of life here, Ive lived as a full time resident for some time and on a couple different occassions. This is Not the USA, use caution when dealing with Police, MOST are good and eagar to asssit. MAny are NOT with good intentions. Be vigilant... f somethings doesnt feel right it PROABLY IS NOT! iF YOUR COMING TO SAN CARLOS use exstreme caution from Hermosillo south. Avoid Guaymas , Empalme and Obergon unless you really have a reason to go there. The crime rate and violance have increased dramatically... ( There will be many that are snowbirds and come down every year for 6 months and there are some that livehere full time, Keep in mind many of thse individuales are financially vested in San Carlos, It would NOT BE IN THE BEST INTEREST OFBUSINESS OR PROPERTY VALUES IF THEY WERE TO BE PERFECTLY HONEST SO DO yourhomework! ( dont be fooled by the old ( ""WELL IT'S PROBABLY SAFER THEN Phoenix, Oreon, Washington, Colorado, etc.... That may be true, but if you compare the POPULATION NUMBERS to the STATES most will qoute? There is no comparison!!! The crime rate in the Guaymas San Carlos Area is very high. San Carlos is a small little community that lines the Ocean in GUAYMAS, Sonora! Would I still suggest this area for travel. ( yes) Remember where you are, and be very vigilant! The locals do appreciate that some americans attempt to speak Spanish!!! These are very small towns with small population numbers!If you going further south reconsider your travels without in depth investigaation to whats happening in the area you wish to travel

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
52 posts
11 reviews
10. Re: Safety

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. This year, we have not travelled to Guaymas as frequently as last year. We feel safe in San Carlos, but we are in a gated condo development and don't stay out late when we are off site. (More a matter of age vs safety concerns, but it works for both purposes.)

Reply to: Safety
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about San Carlos
Recent Conversations