We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Yucatan/Tulum

Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Corvallis, Oregon
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First trip to Yucatan/Tulum

Hello, my wife and I are flying from Oregon April 3rd - we'll arrive late afternoon in Cancun. I will be renting a car but am certain we will be very tired after the trip (need to leave home ~4am) so we're thinking it would be a good idea to stay the night at a hotel in Cancun, pick up a car the next day then drive down.

So my questions are: Can someone recommend a hotel that would be close to a few decent (but not necessarily expensive) restaurants? How would I arrange, via the internet, something like that? Can I get a car delivered to a hotel?

Thanks, Bill

Iowa
Level Contributor
519 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to Yucatan/Tulum

I did this once out of 35 trips to Tulum-trying to find a hotel in Cancun without a reservation is impossible-it was a nightmare. Just drive down to Tulum-it's an easy drive on a 4 lane highway-1 hour and 30 minutes-just watch for the signs for the topes-speed bumps-very dangerous. I'm always up at 2am and drive two hours to the city to catch my 6am flight-you'll be fine-I do it all the time-you'll be excited to get there-don't stay in Cancun. I always stay at Nueva Vida de Ramiro in Tulum.

Thomas A. Brown

Corvallis, Oregon
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to Yucatan/Tulum

Thanks Thomas, I'm looking for the name of a hotel so I can make reservations. I'm 70 years old and will need a bit of rest before proceeding to Tulum.

Bill

minneapolis
Level Contributor
109 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to Yucatan/Tulum

A lot of people like the Courtyard by Marriott hotel when spending the first or last night in Cancun due to flight times. It's convenient (right on hwy 307) and very close to both Easyway and Cancun/American car rental agencies. I think the Marriott has breakfast included, too.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,596 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to Yucatan/Tulum

Also try El Moro in Puerto Morelos.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,772 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to Yucatan/Tulum

The Couryard is very well-placed for the rental companies Easyway, Continenal/America. They will definitely come get you in the morning if you arrange it with them in advance (make your reservation online and you'll get an e-mail response that looks automated but you can reply to it and they will reply to you, both companies do this). I've heard good things about the Courtyard--just like any Courtyard here in the US, decent food, pool, good beds, all that you'd expect.

And I believe they have an airport shuttle, making things even easier.

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,392 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip to Yucatan/Tulum

The Cancun airport is quite remote from town and is on the highway you need to head south . The Courtyard , tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g150807-d6777… , is the closest hotel or possibly a new Comfort Inn , tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g150807-d2038727… , that is very near also . Both of these places can fill up with airline staff and flight cancellations . A reservation is a must . We also stayed at a very simple but clean and modern Mexican Chain hotel a few miles closer to town , right beside a north American style mega mall on the main road into town called Cityexpress , tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g150807-d559588-… None of these options will feel Mexican at all and there is very little for food out that way other than hotel restaurants . Puerto Morelos is about ten minutes longer to drive than downtown Cancun or the seperate Cancun hotel strip . Either car company mentioned above will pick you up and bring you to their shops which are just past the Courtyard . Even given your early start and your likely fatigue , I would go with Pepper's idea of picking up the car and heading to Puerto Morelos , which can take one hour total if all goes smoothly . The good folks at that forum can suggest places as well . Please be happy always

Edited: 05 March 2012, 03:06
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,661 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip to Yucatan/Tulum

Just remember, you really should have a reservation. Your arrival is during Semana Santa, April 1 to 8, when it seems every family in Mexico travels.

Corvallis, Oregon
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: First trip to Yucatan/Tulum

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. After looking at a map I think I'll drive to Puerto Moreles and get a room there for the night. Looks like a nice little town.

I know all about Semana Santa! I was in Mazatlan in 2005 when Carnival coincided with the Venados playing in the Caribbean World Series. What a zoo.

9. Re: First trip to Yucatan/Tulum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 17:18