We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental company recommendations?

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Topic
Car rental company recommendations?

We would like to get an inexpensive rental for our upcoming trip and are looking for a little input. From what we've read it seems the best way to go is with an all-inclusive insurance rental company for peace of mind and less hassles.

The companies we have seen mentioned are: Cancun Rentacar, Continental Rentacar and Easyway.

Which company do you recommend? We would like the least amount of excessive charges & a zero deductible if possible. Is it best to book online or rent when we get to the airport?

Thanks in advance.

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental company recommendations?

I've used Easyway 3 times and Cancun RentaCar once, both were fine and both offer full insurance and zero deductible. Both will have someone waiting for you outside the airport with your name on a sign and take you to their office (both about a 5 minute drive away) to sign the papers and inspect the car, takes about 10 minutes with the paperwork and off you go.

Book online, you do not pay until you get there. That way you will have a car reserved for you.

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,444 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental company recommendations?

I agree with Vineyard's choices . Do it online first , you can confirm with a phone call or secondary e mail if you wish . In fact Cancuncarrental , PHONED ME , two days before we left to make sure everything was still okay . An average cost for a small car suitable for two people with large luggage would be $35.00 dollars a day in normal season . Contnental and Americacarrental are all the same company as Cancuncarrental . Cheers .

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental company recommendations?

Thanks for the info. Do you two know if they take cash or CC deposits? Juanrojo - any idea why the rates would be different if those companies are the same?

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,444 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental company recommendations?

I don't know why the prices vary but I have read seasoned posters advising to try all three for best pricing although I didn't bother . I paid with visa , the only thing I ever use a card for , both times . The first time was at a bit of a poor exchange rate , that was clearly posted but that added a few bucks to the price . The second rental was at that days current rate . It has also been suggested that this might be the one purchase to actually use US dollars as that is the currency quoted . They do take a security deposit off the card and return it if you pay cash . There is an office in Tulum at the main intersection under the America Car brand .

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental company recommendations?

We always use Easyway.

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental company recommendations?

Car rental place is one of the few places in Mexico I use a credit card and never had any problems at all. Easyway used to offer a cash discount but some law was changed and they can no longer offer this I believe. They used to offer a discount for members of AAA, but you need to take your card with you as they asked to see it each time.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental company recommendations?

Thanks for the help folks...it seems most of these companies are pretty equal...good and bad reviews...good prices and all-inclusive insurance. Easy Way has a deductible..otherwise that would have definitely been our choise.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,974 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental company recommendations?

I thought there was a zero-deductible option on Easyway's price list?

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental company recommendations?

I thought so too. But when you go to the Insurance & Coverages link they explain about having the lowest deductibles:

http://www.easywayrentacar.com/insurances.php

Boston
Level Contributor
239 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental company recommendations?

We used Easyway and were very happy--just booked with them for this Dec. as well.