We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cipro

Hillsborough, North...
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Topic
Cipro

Someone commented in an earlier post about buying some cipro in cancun - what is this, what does it do?? Thanks!!

saskatoon
Level Contributor
149 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cipro

Cipro is a prescription drug (in Canada) which fights stomach bacteria. I get a prescription filled before all of our trips. My husband a few years back ended up sick with salmonalla poisoning. If he had taken Cipro on the onset of getting sick, it would have stopped the bacteria from getting worse. Definately worth taking with you.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,625 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cipro

Cipro is a powerful antibiotic with some potentially very serious side effects. Anyone considering self-medicating (not a wise move, IMHO) may want to read the following links for more information:

http://www.rxlist.com/cipro-drug.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciprofloxacin

Hillsborough, North...
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cipro

So you take it as a precaution? Prior to getting sick. Any side affects you notice? Thanks!

girlcanrun.com

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cipro

You should NOT take any antibiotic as a preventative, unless specifically directed by your physician.

Taking antibiotics as a preventative or for things that don't need an antibiotic (such as a virus) causes other bacteria to become antibiotic resistant - which is a very large concern today! I know someone who has been fighting MRSA for months - not good!

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cipro

NO do not take it as a precaution before getting sick! Cipro is used when you do get sick, and I am talking food poison, want to die, can't get off the bathroom floor sick! Not my stomach isn't right and it is all, a little, you know, sick! Cipro is strong medicine and you don't want to mess with it, or worse, develop an immunity to it.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,240 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cipro

Taking Cipro can also cause you to become very sensitive to the sun while taking it, and for a while afterwards. Not a good thing when you're on a beach vacation.

It's not a drug to be taken lightly. It's also rarely prescribed to children, I can't recall the reason, but DO NOT give it to a child without consulting a physician.

saskatoon
Level Contributor
149 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cipro

We did not take the Cipro until my husband got sick and we only take it with us in case we do get a case of stomach bacteria. My husband waited until we got home, lost 17 pounds ended up in the hospital where they prescribed Cipro to kill the salmonella. I did not intend for it to be taken as a precautionary measure.

New England
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Cipro

Please DO NOT use Cipro unless you are being treated for a diagnosed infection. I know of 2 woman who ended up with the excrutiating pain of interstitial cystitis after doing so.

Cipro is frequently prescribed for urinary tract infections. From what I've read, if you take Cipro and there is no bacteria (infection) for it to attack, it will instead attack the lining of the bladder.

Interstitial cystitis has been a nightmare for both of these women. Please do not take the chance!

Cipro also has been shown to cause tendon ruptures. See article below:

U.S. issues warning about Cipro-type antibiotics

Updated Tue. Jul. 8 2008 6:42 PM ET

The Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- Drug safety officials Tuesday imposed the government's most urgent safety warning on Cipro and similar antibiotics, citing evidence that they may lead to tendon ruptures, a serious injury that can leave patients incapacitated and needing extensive surgery.

The Food and Drug Administration ordered makers of fluoroquinolone drugs -- a potent class of antibacterials -- to add a prominent "black box'' warning to their products and develop new literature for patients emphasizing the risks.

Tendon ruptures are normally thought of as sports injuries, generally occurring among men in their mid-30s. The link to treatment with the antibiotics is highly unusual, and scientists still don't fully understand why it happens. However, FDA officials stressed that many of the serious injuries appear to be preventable if patients stop taking the drug at the first sign of pain or swelling in a tendon, call their doctor, and switch to another antibiotic.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,953 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cipro

Just worry about getting it if and when you need it once you are there. Doctor's visits are cheap in Mexico and you can even sometimes find a pharmacy with an in-site doc to write you a script (scripts are now required for antiobiotics in MX-thankfully, as they are so often abused, resulting in negative consequences for all of us!)

It is highly unlikely you will need it- most people don't on trips to Mexico.

*Emmalake- I knew what you meant, nothing wrong with taking it just in case if that gives you peace of mind- I can understand how one bad experience will make you more cautious.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cipro

Rissask,

You typed " *Emmalake- I knew what you meant, nothing wrong with taking it just in case if that gives you peace of mind- I can understand how one bad experience will make you more cautious."

I am assuming that you meant that there was nothing wrong with taking Cipro WITH you on vacation just in case....not taking it as a preventative. :-)