We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

40-year-old male solo traveller - Playa del Carmen help

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
40-year-old male solo traveller - Playa del Carmen help

Hi everyone,

I am planning a trip and have narrowed it down to Playa del Carmen, since I've heard good things about the area and I've never been to Mexico before.

I've been doing my research but all the info is a little overwhelming. I just wondered if anyone who has visited Playa del Carmen has any suggestions for the kind of accommodations I am seeking.

All-inclusive, adults only preferably and people around my age.

I have never travelled solo before and am slightly apprehensive about it. I would like to visit a resort where solo travellers can easily feel comfortable. Ideally there would be a significant number of other singles there, as opposed to couples only. I want to relax, but it'd be nice if there were things to do and an opportunity to socialize with other singles, especially those of the opposite sex.

Hope that's enough information for anyone who might have suggestions. Thanks in advance!!

Lynn, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
96 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 40-year-old male solo traveller - Playa del Carmen help

I might suggest you look for a place that has a swim up bar. So much socializing goes on there that by the end of the day you know everyone at the pool!

baltimore
Level Contributor
3,188 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 40-year-old male solo traveller - Playa del Carmen help

I would recommend the Royal Playa Del Carmen. It has plenty to do to keep you busy and it is in Playa Del Carmen. PDC is a great place for single people to hang out and meet people. There are tons of places to belly up to a beach bar and hang out.

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,753 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 40-year-old male solo traveller - Playa del Carmen help

"people around my age"

What's your age?

Edited: 07 August 2011, 20:16
Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,753 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 40-year-old male solo traveller - Playa del Carmen help

Aha -- in the title! Nevermind. :-)

Battle Ground...
Level Contributor
454 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 40-year-old male solo traveller - Playa del Carmen help

Ha Ha Ha - good one :-)

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 40-year-old male solo traveller - Playa del Carmen help

Be sure to get out to visit 5th Avenue and maybe go on some tours. Even though I have travelled with my family to Mexico several times. If I was single (im' in my 40's), , I would not hesitate to travel solo to Playa del Carmen. I have found folks to be very friendly and most other travellers that I have run across love to chat at the restaurants, coffee houses, etc in Mexico.

Maybe check out Yukatrek tours. They do wonderful small group tours.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 40-year-old male solo traveller - Playa del Carmen help

Thanks for the replies...I appreciate the advice :)

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 40-year-old male solo traveller - Playa del Carmen help

I finally booked my trip. I've never been to Mexico, or an all inclusive resort, or travelled solo before, but am doing them all now.

I am staying at the Riu Palace Riviera Maya at the end of August. I got a decent deal and it's actually pretty close to Playa del Carmen so I can leave the resort and do other stuff pretty easily if I want.

If you've been to that resort and it sucked, please don't tell me about it...lol.

Counting the days!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,289 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 40-year-old male solo traveller - Playa del Carmen help

Thats a great property. Enjoy!!

Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
5,001 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 40-year-old male solo traveller - Playa del Carmen help

It is a very good resort soundgarden..enjoy your stay. You will meet tons of people there the Riu chain in very very good you will love it. It has a fantastic beach area as well for you to enjoy and a 15 minute walk or 70 peso cab ride in to town.