We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help I can't decide Sandos Gala or Copacabana beach resort

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Iowa
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help I can't decide Sandos Gala or Copacabana beach resort

I have spent to much time reading reviews looking at photo's I am so burned out and I need to book the trip Asap. I can't decide between Sandos Gala Playacar and Copacabana resort. Both are the same $ I just want to know which one !! Please help.

Thanks so much

Nicole

Iowa
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Help I can't decide Sandos Gala or Copacabana beach resort

Has anyone stayed at either of these resorts?

Edmonton CANADA
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help I can't decide Sandos Gala or Copacabana beach resort

GALA...100% over Copacabana...It is much nicer, better food, and much better location...

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
1,369 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help I can't decide Sandos Gala or Copacabana beach resort

Hello, I have stayed at both; Gala in Nov 04 and Copa in May 05. My preference is for the Copa; however, it depends if you want to be able to walk into Playa Del Carmen (or take a quick and cheap taxi ride). You are much further away from town at Copa. This suits me, as dont usually leave resort much. Accomodation is much nicer at Copa (unless you get upgraded to Club rooms at Gala); food is about equal (I preferred Copa); drinks at Copa very poor quality I thought; pool at Copa is much bigger and nicer; both beaches are very nice; entertainment was better at Copa and so was disco. Read the reviews - both seem to have good and bad ones! In the end, I suppose it boils down to your own preference)).

CT
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help I can't decide Sandos Gala or Copacabana beach resort

We went to Gala in Feb 05 and booked a return trip for 06. It is a great family resort but read the reviews! If you have kids this is a great family resort. If you expect fancy rooms and lobster on the buffet go elsewhere. Gala's strengths are the spectacular beach, size of resort (not too spread out so it's great for kids)I thought the food was good, I had no complaints and we loved the pool and tennis. Something really for everyone in the family.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,282 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help I can't decide Sandos Gala or Copacabana beach resort

Stayed at both, Copas beach makes the Gala look like Lake Michigan. Like mentioned before the copa is not as close but I think is a much better resort.

Colorado
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help I can't decide Sandos Gala or Copacabana beach resort

Desmnzas,

I too have stayed at both the Gala and Copa and prefer the Copa. The food is about the same in both places, both had excellent beaches, the activity crew at the Copa was much better with many more activiies. I would not consider either of them a true 5 star (apple)hotel. The Copa charges $4 a day for the room safe and does not have a mini bar in the room. I do know that the Gala has expanded and does not have enough room in the restaurants to accomodate all quests so some have to sit ourdoors. There are better choices, i.e. Iberostar Tucan, Grand Bahia. Good luck with your selection.