We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need help with resorts

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
canada
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
Save Topic
need help with resorts

Planning on returning to the riviera, and I am so undecided on the resorts. We stayed at the Iberostar quetzal last time and loved it, we are looking for something similar, with a great beach, clean rooms and good food. Any suggestions?

How does the reef playacar compare? or blue bay esmeralda or even the Riu tequila? and help would be appreciated, we are also on a budget so cannot afford the palace resorts. Thanks

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need help with resorts

I think that from the point of good food/rooms reef playacar is not on the same level, an blue bay esmeralda is not on the good beach, but Riu tequila will be good except it is not on the beach, 800 m of the covered walkway - you probably know where it is, next resort North to Yucatan which is the next door to Iberostar.

If you like Iberostars, why wouldn't you try one of the Paraiso located Iberostars, two of them are lower priced and should be comparable by all points.

Boylston...
Level Contributor
1,521 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need help with resorts

Are you just looking to try something new? We went to a lot of different resorts in that area but once we went to the Iberostar Quetzal we are pretty settled on that. We are going back for the ninth time in 32 more days!!!

Michigan
Level Contributor
643 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: need help with resorts

I wouldn't put the Reef Playacar or the BBE in the same category as the Iberostar. You're probably seeing that in the pricing. :) Personally I wouldn't stay at the BBE because of their Beach situation.

Maybe check into the Barcelo property and the Catalonia Royal Tulum is one I've always wanted to check out.

Easton, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need help with resorts

I have been looking into Catalonia Playa Maroma. The beach is amazing, the rooms are nice & the resort is very affordable. I am still undecided as well, I just thought I would share. Hope this helps & doesn't complicate things.

(Catalonia Royal Tulum is all adults)

Edited: 12 October 2010, 23:17
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,286 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: need help with resorts

CPM is a great property and very reasonable too. Offers a free shuttle to a from PDC twice a day.

canada
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: need help with resorts

I think we have narrowed it down to iberostar paraiso or Riu tequila. The tequila is a little cheaper. How is the beach at paraiso del mar?

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: need help with resorts

The Paraiso beach with all 5 Iberostars on it is the beach around the corner from the Maroma beach so we went to see it when staying at the CPM.

It is secluded (only Iberostars resorts so no passing by people from the other resorts), in the water there are some rocks in some places but also big rocks free sandy areas, on the beach it is all sand. The water is mostly wavy, not as calm as at the Maroma beach, but the waves are not the long type that you can ride on, I would say it is choppy if it makes any sense. Lots of people playing in the water.

It looked a little to crowded to me but we were there during the very high season. It is located closer to the airport, only about 30 min from there.

I couldn't figure out the situation with the palapas availability. The resorts are set back inland from the beach, no beach front or sea view except the Grand.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: need help with resorts

Riu Tequila would be a good choice as you will be able to use the Riu Playacar and Riu Yucatan as well. 3 for the price of 1

9. Re: need help with resorts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2011, 07:16