We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelo Maya Palace or Iberostar Paraiso Maya?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Barcelo Maya Palace or Iberostar Paraiso Maya?

HELP-I don't know which resort to choose for my wedding/vacation. Can someone please persuade on one vs the other? We will have a little one with us-18 months old!

kansas
Level Contributor
226 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barcelo Maya Palace or Iberostar Paraiso Maya?

I'm looking at these two as well. Any thoughts?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
707 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barcelo Maya Palace or Iberostar Paraiso Maya?

HELP-I don't know which resort to choose for my wedding/vacation. Can someone please persuade on one vs the other? We will have a little one with us-18 months old!

We went to the Iberostar Lindo 3 years ago, Barcelo Colonial/Tropical 2 years ago, and going to the Iberostar Tucan in July. Both are beautiful resorts, and great for families. Here are my opinions of these two resorts:

Lindo/Maya have a nice beach, but the ocean has large waves (red flags every day.) They have palapas for shade. Pool is large, they have a wave pool, and a lazy river (very, very, very lazy.) There is some music by the pool area. They close the pool at around 6:30 p.m. Starfriends are great!! They are so much fun and keep everyone entertained. I thought the food was pretty good at the Iberostar. At night, they have a kids show (where children participate) followed by Starfriends entertainment. I thought their entertainment was a lot of fun for the whole family. You cannot go wrong with Iberostar, IMO.

I didn't stay at the Palace, but stayed at the Colonial/Tropical. The Palace beach is just okay (IMO). The beach has a lot of small rocks, pebbles, shells... You must wear watershoes. However, you walk to the Colonial/Tropical, the sand is rock, pebble, and shell free. No need to wear watershoes. No palapas at Barcelo, but they have palm trees for shade. The ocean is great for swimming (no large waves) and great for snorkeling. You can see turtles (if you're luck), a barracuda (named Bob), and many fish. They have a waterpark for children and huge pool.. I don't know if the Palace has their own waterpark. No music around the pool area. Their entertainment around the pool was not like Iberostar's, and not very fun. I thought the food was very good, and it comparable to Iberostar's. No kids show in the evening. IMO, their entertainment in the evening is not comparable to Iberostar's. They have a show every night, however I would have to say it is more for adults and not for children. The beautiful ladies on stage try to put on a show more like Las Vegas type entertainment (without having complete nudity.) Their pool closes around 10:00 p.m., however we saw people in the pool after that time, while the employees were putting chemicals in the water.)

To sum it up: More family entertainment and things to do at the Iberostars, Great beach and ocean for snorkeling at Barcelo. Hope this helps.

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
7,909 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barcelo Maya Palace or Iberostar Paraiso Maya?

You can't go wrong at with either of these resorts. The "waves" at the IB Maya depend on the weather. We had very few red flags during our stays at the IB Paraiso complex.

Not sure how the dinner reservations work at the Barcelo Palace, but at the IB Maya you have a concierge in your building to make the dinner reservations for you.

Also when staying at the IB Maya you have free access to the "wet" areas of the spa.

Edited: 17 June 2010, 02:48
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,282 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barcelo Maya Palace or Iberostar Paraiso Maya?

Ive been to Paraiso Maya and the Barcelo. I feel the Barcelo is the better of the two. The beach is nicer and overall I preferred it.

Donnellson, Iowa
Level Contributor
995 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barcelo Maya Palace or Iberostar Paraiso Maya?

juls11209

We have been to both. And both are nice. I don't recall seeing any weddings at the Iberostar Maya. We did see one at the Iberostar Tucan. We did see a couple weddings at the Barcelo Maya Palace. There is a gazebo near the restaraunts near the beach where they have the weddings.

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,371 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barcelo Maya Palace or Iberostar Paraiso Maya?

I do not think that you should really care about the evening entertainment with the 18 months old. The beach is better for the swimming at the Barcelo (there are rocks at the Palace but the very next beach at the Tropical that is 20 steps is rocks free). Are you the pool people or the beach people? There is an aqua park pool at the Palace but I think it is for the older kids - there is a lower age limitation, ask the travel agent about it. The problem with the beach at the Barcelo that there are no shade palapas on the beach there only palms, the shade is only provided around the pools. I really like Barcelo beach though, it is beautiful. There are 5 Barcelo resorts on it and it is secluded, the same as Iberostars - they are all on the Paraiso beach, but the ocean is mostly very wavy there, with the groups of rocks here and there.

Edited: 17 June 2010, 08:59
7. Re: Barcelo Maya Palace or Iberostar Paraiso Maya?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2010, 06:17