We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Better Beach or Better Resort?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver BC
5 posts
Save Topic
Better Beach or Better Resort?

This is probably a diffcult question to answer since everybody have their own preferences, but many of you are seasoned travellers to this area I will ask the question anyways.

Would it be better choose a more upscale resort such as Secrets Excellence, which does not have the best beach but have great, food rooms and service over the Akamul Beach Resort which has a great beach for snorkelling ? Of course, one can always take the taxi, collectivo or even rent a car to get around to the great snorkelling spots and beaches but it may not be as convenient.

I have read great reviews on both resorts which make the choice more diffcult. I am planning for a trip to the Myan Riviera in November so any suggestions will be wellcome.

Thanks!!!

Broken Bow, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Better Beach or Better Resort?

are you going to sleep on the beach or in a resort. i would'

take resort any time. you can always get in the pool or tub.

Iowa
Level Contributor
437 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Better Beach or Better Resort?

I've heard good things about ABR. If you are a person who wishes upscale amenities you might be a little disappointed. However my understanding is that it is clean, has pretty good food and drink and a fantastic beach. Rooms pretty basic. Probably not alot of shrimp or lobster at restaurants though. And probably carries a lot smaller price also.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Better Beach or Better Resort?

Here's my $0.02...Went last year and stayed at the Grand XCaret, didn't realize until we got there that the beach was not the best (a man-made lagoon, no view, etc.) I was extremely disappointed. Why would I travel to another country for a beach vacation and not have a great beach to spend it at? We ended up going into town most days to enjoy the beach there. Downside, we had to pay for food, drinks, etc. whereas had we a great beach at the resort, everything would have been included in the all-inclusive package.

So, bottom line is I would DEFINITELY choose a nice beach over a nice resort anyday.

Just my opinion.

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Better Beach or Better Resort?

hello TB....just a suggestion.....why not pick an upscale resort with both a nice beach, upscale food, drink and accomodation? We have travelled to the Riviera Maya 9 times in last 3 years - all to different resorts and would have no hesitation in recommending the Iberostar Maya or Lindo. We are beach people; only frequent the pools for any games or activities, not to swim. We stayed at Ib Maya in August and found the beach to be very nice and food, drink, accomodation and service excellent along with very pleasant surroundings. Plus, they run a shuttle bus to PDC several times a day if you need a change of scenery)). Hope this helps. ..P.S....we have stayed at Secrets Capri and prefer IB Maya

pittsburgh pa
Level Contributor
99 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Better Beach or Better Resort?

lisaanddenny030604@hotmail.com

we booked the lindo for 10 nights november 10-20, cannot wait, there is MORE TO DO at the lindo vs. the excellence, my friend went to secrets capri-she loved it but very very relaxed, secrets is more expensive, and 10 nights would of been VERY expensive, we were going to do both but my hubby doesn't want to get up and move in mid vacation, we want to just stay at the resort and do nothing but romance, eat and sleep...........i have researched the lindo extensively, so I don't think the secrets is worth the extra money for 10 days but maybe for a week there next time

Vancouver BC
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Better Beach or Better Resort?

Thanks for all your posts. From all the valuable info I got from this site, it seems like the Secrets Capri would be more suitable for me and my girlfriend. The Capri got very good restaurants and a good beach, which may be not the best beach around. But that gives us some incentives to get out of the resort and explore the ruins and other great snorkeling spots and other beautiful beaches. We are more into relaxing and sight seeing anyways. We will just have to decide whether to rent a car or use the public transport to get around. My only question would be to join a tour or to get around on your own?

Actually, from where I am, the both the Secrets resorts and the Iberostar Lindo are about the same price for the standard rooms.

The difference between the two Secrets resorts, according to what I read, is that the Capri has better beach, may be better food. The Excellence on the other hand, has slightly better rooms and better pools. Everybody will have their own preferneces.

Again, thanks for all your replies!!!