We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Forget Swine Flu- I'm worried about the weather!

SparkleMalibu
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Forget Swine Flu- I'm worried about the weather!

My boyfriend and I have a trip to Play Del Carmen scheduled for leaving May 12th-15th. Just a 3 day trip, but nevertheless we have been SO excited because it is our first trip to Mexico. We didn't even let the Swine Flu scare get us down. We kept visions of the sunny beach in our heads. (We live in Colorado and its still snowing!) In any case, I was really disheartened to see the weather forecast is as follows for our days in Playa:

Tues May 12th: Isolated T storms (30% chance)

Wed May 13th: Showers (40% chance)

Thu May 14th : Showers (60% chance)

(mind you for every one of these days they smack a big rain cloud picture on it)

I have to decide within the next couple days if we should cancel our trip. I am SO torn because I want to go so bad, but I will feel horrible if my boyfriend spends $1000 on this trip (which to us is a LOT even though its a good deal) and then it rains the whole time and we cant even enjoy the beach. I dont know what to do. I read on some other posts on here that a lot of times they call for showers and it only rains 20 minutes or so and then clears up. Any input on this?? Even if it doesn't rain all day, do you think it'd still be cloudy all day? Input from anyone would be so appreciated. I am so torn on deciding whether to go or not. Please help!

Ontario
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Forget Swine Flu- I'm worried about the weather!

SparkleMalibu

We just got back from Playa on the weekend. Before we left they called for T-Storms every day (for a full week). It rained once long enough for us to leave the beach, go get a drink at the bar, and then go back to the beach. It rained off and on the day we went to Cancun for an excursion, but did not rain in Playa at all that day. As for clouds, it was partly cloudy just about every day. Trust me, you may be glad for this. When a cloud blocks out the sun for a few minutes it can be a welcome relief from the hot sun, but thankfully is only a momentary relief. Just long enough to be somewhat refreshing.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,560 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Forget Swine Flu- I'm worried about the weather!

um, remember this is the tropics no?? You'll see how green and lush it is there, and it gets that way by rain. It's not all day all out rain, although some days are like that. You'll be fine. Stay away from weather reports.

Minooka, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,577 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Forget Swine Flu- I'm worried about the weather!

I just got back last night....

Rain??? I missed it the one time it did rain!!! Dammit.

I have a burn on my back and a great tan ~ it was so hot and sunny! Thank goodness for the pools.

Those percentage of chances are really good odds..

I would GO!!!

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
665 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Forget Swine Flu- I'm worried about the weather!

Everytime I have gone, weather always shows rain almost everyday AND usually there is never any rain at all. If there is rain its not even worth moving from your chair, as it is warm anyway, and it lasts minutes.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,832 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Forget Swine Flu- I'm worried about the weather!

They also don't have lightening. Sometimes, because of the strong wind, you will feel rain, but be sitting in full sunshine. Please don't be fooled by the weather forecasts.

Bristol, New...
Level Contributor
599 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Forget Swine Flu- I'm worried about the weather!

I was also worried- We just got back from a 7 night stay- Before we left it was calling for rain and/or storms everyday- I'm glad I did not stree too much- It literally rained for 5 minutes one morning around 7am- The rest of the week was perfect- Some days had more clouds than other days but NO RAIN except for that 5 minutes. We also experienced the same weather forecast phenomenom for the past 10 yrs vacationing in the Dominican. I guess if there is a cloud in the sky there may be a slight chance of rain- We now joke about it- When we are on vacation we look up and say "ANother cloudy rainy day" and laugh- I know one of these vacations our luck will run out but so far so good- And I hate those picture too- I checked at least 4 sites before we left and each one noted just about the same forecast you had with no mention of sun- Don't stress and have fun!!!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,289 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Forget Swine Flu- I'm worried about the weather!

Playas forcast almost always says rain.

Oklahoma, USA
Level Contributor
58 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Forget Swine Flu- I'm worried about the weather!

Yep, we've been many years when the forecast called for rain everyday and it didn't. And we've been when it didn't call for rain, but it did! Can't depend on the forecasts for that area! They are WAY too hit and miss! By all means, don't cancel because of weather (unless maybe they are under hurricane warning) LOL!

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
976 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Forget Swine Flu- I'm worried about the weather!

OK!!! We just returned yesterday.We were in Playa del Carmen area for 11 days. The ENTIRE time we were there, the weather on the weather station on the TV in the room predicted Clouds, rain and thunder-storms nearly everyday. Each day, I woke up, moved the curtians back, to a clear skys. Not a single day below 30 celcius. Pay NO Attention to the weather forcast. I mean seriously IGNORE IT.

Level Contributor
503 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Forget Swine Flu- I'm worried about the weather!

How was the wind? When we were there last month it was horribly windy. We are going again in a few weeks, and I am hoping the wind calmed down.