We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birthday presents

England
8 posts
Birthday presents

It's my boyfriends birthday while we are living in Playa this year and I'm wondering whether to buy him something in England before going, I have no idea what I want to buy him yet and probably won't get anything electrical because of the difference in voltage! What kinds of things do they sell there? I also wouldn't buy any jewellery as he isn't into that...not much else I know!! Do you think it's best I buy something before leaving?

Southern Illinois
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Birthday presents

Take a cue from Obama and give him an iPod and loaded with beach and Latin music.

CT
Level Contributor
2,144 posts
51 reviews
2. Re: Birthday presents

Definately buy something BEFORE.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,352 posts
73 reviews
3. Re: Birthday presents

yes - most likely you know the best places to shop at home.... Unless your boyfriend is into Mexican crafts or would want a guayaberra (sic). There are sunglass stores, but I bet no bargains....

Another popular item, but not for a major gift - those football (what we call soccer - not American football) team shirts... I always buy my nephew one in every country - notice a lot of men wear them as well - especially European men.

England
8 posts
4. Re: Birthday presents

Can you get after shave out there? (Nice stuff, not cheap fake stuff!!)

Leeds ,Yorkshire
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
5. Re: Birthday presents

There is a couple of shops on 5th Avenue that are like the cosmetics floor in House of Frazer so you should be able to find what you are looking for.

Yorkie

MJo
Spring Grove, IL
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
54 reviews
6. Re: Birthday presents

In Paseo Del Carmen, there are some nice high-end clothing stores, and there is also a Swiss watch store.

If you bring a gift with you, remember not to wrap it because you have to go through customs.

Southern Illinois
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Birthday presents

You can buy duty free stuff as you enter the country. Cologne, booze, jewelry, cigars etc.

Rocky Mountains
Level Contributor
166 posts
27 reviews
8. Re: Birthday presents

I'd say bring him something from England... something he can't buy in Mexico. Something unique to your country. Exactly what that is, I don't know... but surely you can think of something. I often give people gifts made in Colorado (my state) that they can't get at home.

MJo
Spring Grove, IL
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
54 reviews
9. Re: Birthday presents

Or, if he likes cigars, many people like to buy cigars in Playa.

10. Re: Birthday presents

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 21:18