We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Occidental Grand Xcaret vs. Valentin Imperial Maya

New York
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Occidental Grand Xcaret vs. Valentin Imperial Maya

Hi,

We are a mid-twenties couple looking at either resort, but not sure about which to choose. Don't care about the diff in money (which is minimal), but rather which will have better nightlife, more to do, the better overall experience. We don't plan on leaving the resort so when I say better nightlife, I just mean a good crowd of people out at the hotel bars. Also the less college spring-breakers, the better !

Thanks,

Sparty

Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Occidental Grand Xcaret vs. Valentin Imperial Maya

This question interests me as we are going to BOTH. That's right, we are splitting our vacation between the resorts.

My expectations are that the Valentin will be more upscale and with a quiet atmosphere (adult only) and with better accomodations. I expect it to be quiet at night as well (no nightlife)

We are staying at Xcaret for the water park and because of the deal we got on Sky Auction. I'm not expecting much from the rooms, which are older. If you think the price is anywhere near the same, you are not shopping wisely.

The Valentin is where I really am looking forward to staying but your post sounds like you would prefer the activity at the Occidental Grand.

New York
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Occidental Grand Xcaret vs. Valentin Imperial Maya

I'm shopping quite wisely. I booked 4 nights for two people at the Valentin w/airfare from NY for 1700. Actually found a better deal for the Occidental after I wrote the post @ 1430 same dates/flights but opted for the Valentin. Previously it was 1600.

Decided I wanted the actual beach, proximity to the airport, better rooms. I'm sure both are great, just thought I'd give this one a shot first.

North Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Occidental Grand Xcaret vs. Valentin Imperial Maya

re: Valentin IMperial

american prices look more expensive that Canadian. 1300 per week Canadian, $2500 for 2 weeks. with Signature Vacations. everything included

Ontario
Level Contributor
337 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Occidental Grand Xcaret vs. Valentin Imperial Maya

My husband and I were at the Valentin from Feb 8-15 and we were expecting minimal nightlife. We were pleasantly surprised to find that there was quite a lot going on at night for those who wanted to be out and about.

There is a live band which plays in the plaza each evening, usually until about 10pm. Then there is a DJ playing disco/rock/dance/top 40 music in the plaza from 11pm until 1:30am. It will depend on the crowd at the resort when you go, how crazy a party it is. There were a lot of fun people there when we were there. We had a blast and danced every night until the last song, then stumbled over to the midnight buffet at the Taman Sari which is open until 2am.

Additionally, they have the nightly shows in the theatre anywhere from 8pm-11pm and they play a movie in the theatre each night at 11pm.

The nightlife was probably our favourite part of our trip and it was totally unexpected! :)

Amy

North Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Occidental Grand Xcaret vs. Valentin Imperial Maya

prices went down march 9/09 $900 per week! everything included with sunquest

Ontario
Level Contributor
337 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Occidental Grand Xcaret vs. Valentin Imperial Maya

Wow! Part of that is because of the airfare. I just checked Toronto to Cancun for tomorrow = $25 per seat!!! I'm halfway tempted to hop on a plane tomorrow it's so cheap!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Occidental Grand Xcaret vs. Valentin Imperial Maya

My wife and I were at the Grand Xcaret in March 2006 and the Valentin November 2008. The Valentin is far classier and has much better food. However, we do prefer a la cartes over a buffet so we are bias. But when we were at the Xcaret, we loved it.

The shows at the Xcaret were really quite good when we were there and started shortly after dinner. We didn't stay out real late but the night life was average at best. We tried the disco at 11 pm and no one was there. But overall, I'd say the shows were better.

As for the Valentin, many of the shows didn't start until 10pm. By the time it was all done, it was midnight and we didn't see a lot of people out. But the resort was only half full, unlike now it seems.

As for things to do, the Xcaret has a man made beach so no kayaking or water sports, but I enjoyed wading in the warm ocean. At the Valentin, I enjoyed getting hit by big waves much more and going out on the kayaks a few times. They are totally different in this regard.

Had more fun at the Xcaret pools as they had trivia and other things to do during the day. The Valentin only really had the Crazy Game at 3 pm that was worth watching. Loved watching a female guest down beers faster than the guys. It humbled them a bit.

But the selling point of the Valentin is no kids. People seemed nicer and it was much more relaxing. Could play volleyball with adults rather than entertaining the kids as their parents seemed to be no where around.

We were going to go to the Xcaret before finding the Valentin. Reviews about the Xcaret being turned into a big timeshare seller turned us off.

If you like the pool better than the ocean, I really liked the Xcaret a bit better. But liking both the ocean and the pool, I would chose the Valentin. As for nightlife, the Xcaret shows were a bit better, but no real party scene after. For things to do, Xcaret does have the park next door, but that is only for a day (you could go more often though).

I am booked to go back to the Valentin April 4. Getting dresses up for dinner and going to a restaurant always makes my wife and I feel more like we are actually GOING OUT, rather than just eating. That was a good part of the fun.

As you can see, it really depends what you feel is important. At home my wife and I love going out to eat and love our time to do a whole lotta nothing. If this appeals to you, choose the Valentin. There are always people around at night at both places if you want to do more than that.

And don't miss the fire show at the Valentin if you go. It was awesome.

MJo
Spring Grove, IL
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Occidental Grand Xcaret vs. Valentin Imperial Maya

It's very difficult to compare these two resorts. That's like comparing Apples to Bananas!

The Valentin is an adults only, relaxing resort where you have many dining options and no reservations required. They have the standard AI show in the evening, but they also have nice, live music scattered throughout and also a Mexcican Fiesta one evening. I really enjoyed the Valentin. It's set up hacienda style, which is a bit different as well. Rooms were great (especially the swim-ups)!

The Occidental is a large, family resort next to

Xcaret park. It's your typical AI, and it's a bit older. The Valentin is new.

You will not have a bunch of kids at the Valentin, I can assure you! It was one of the nicer resorts that I've been to, and guests dressed up more (and I've stayed at the El Dorado Royale and Windjammer Landing, and other expensive resorts where they didn't).

9. Re: Occidental Grand Xcaret vs. Valentin Imperial Maya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 16:18