We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best shopping on 5th Avenue in Playa?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,337 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Best shopping on 5th Avenue in Playa?

What are people's favorite stores on the strip in Playa? For clothing, home decor, cute accessories? Does anyone know if the high end store with the stuff from Guatemala is still there?

I havent been in years, and will have about 3-4 hours to shop so need to maximize my time.

Mentioned in this post
Guatemala
Guatemala
Central America
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best shopping on 5th Avenue in Playa?

Bumping because I would also love to get this info for my trip later this year. :)

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best shopping on 5th Avenue in Playa?

It's hard to remember the names of places because there are so many but rule of thumb is that the farther off 5th Ave you go, the better deals and more authentic stuff you'll find.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best shopping on 5th Avenue in Playa?

Are there are artisans that setup with tables in Playa? I much prefer buy8ing directly thru an artisan. For example in PV, there are many places where one can buy directly from the crafts person.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best shopping on 5th Avenue in Playa?

Be careful evening, if you stray too far off of 5th, you may find some violence. Any other opinions on this?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,337 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best shopping on 5th Avenue in Playa?

I'm not really looking for cheaper Mexican craft items. Was just in Mexico City and would go to Oaxaca for higher quality from the source. I meant more of the stuff the expat Europeans sell - chic clothing, home decor, etc. There was 1 really high quality store with bags and sculptures from Guatemala around maybe 8th or 10th street.... On my first trip, I got beaded thongs long before they were for sale here in NYC - that type of unique stuff.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico City
Mexico City
Central Mexico and Gulf Coast, Mexico
Oaxaca
Oaxaca
Oaxaca, Mexico
Guatemala
Guatemala
Central America
MJo
Spring Grove, IL
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best shopping on 5th Avenue in Playa?

I also do not know the name of the store, but you can't miss it. On the opposite side of the park from the ferry dock, there is a store that has the most unique items such as copper sinks, the skeleton figures as very unique characters such as John Lennon, authentic Mexican art, jewelry, etc. There's a restaurant on the beach, and it's like the second store up the street (across from the park).

Also, towards the beach on Calle 8 or Calle 10 (I think Ula Gula is on the corner) is a great lady with more unique items. She has everything from leather Pelicans to nativity sets, and unique pieces of jewelry. When you see the beautiful, bright pink flowers, she's across the street.

Those are two newer stores that I discovered.

I love Crush for their unique clothes. There are a few luggage stores in town (one I know specifically is in Paseo Del Carmen) that have jewelry and purses at 50% off. They had some good deals.

Also, next to La Cueva Del Chango restaurant is a little store that sells really nice hammock chairs.

The new Mayan shops have some cute things in them as well. There are a few of them, but they do have some nice things.

My friend has a great bikini/lingerie store on Avenida 10 between Calle 12 and 14. Some are imported from Colombia, and were just modeled by Brazillian models in a photo shoot for Valentine's Day. He has a few pieces of jewelry and cover-ups as well. The name is Secret Divine.

Mentioned in this post
Ula Gula
Ula Gula
596 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Paseo del Carmen
Paseo del Carmen
59 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
La Cueva del Chango
La Cueva del Chango
2,600 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Mayan Palace at Vidanta Riviera Maya
Mayan Palace at Vidanta...
4,482 Reviews
Playa Paraiso, Mexico
7. Re: Best shopping on 5th Avenue in Playa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 01:20