We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jarred baby food in your luggage?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,158 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
jarred baby food in your luggage?

how do you pack jarred baby food in your luggage with out it breaking?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: jarred baby food in your luggage?

put it in plastic zip lock bags. store it in the mini bar fridge upon arrival

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,158 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: jarred baby food in your luggage?

so would you bring it as a carry on then? i would still be weary that it would pop open?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: jarred baby food in your luggage?

I put two jars per small ziplock bag. I also used alot of bubble wrap to line the sides of the suitcase, and in between bags of jars. I used a small luggage just for the baby's food, but if you are packing it along with the other stuff, I would put it in the middle of the suitcase, so it will be well padded, and don't forget to pack things beneath and ontop.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: jarred baby food in your luggage?

I think you would be limited on how many jars you could bring in your carry-on, just reasonable amounts I would think, not a whole trips worth. I never had any problems with any breakage or jars popping. I did however, have an "exploding" drinking cup on my recent trip. We didn't think of the cabin pressure, and when my 5 year old wanted a drink to help ease his ears popping, shortly after take off, my hubby and my son got a nasty chocolate milk shower! So a tip, always unscrew the tops of any bottles or drinking cups, prior to drinking on a plane!

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: jarred baby food in your luggage?

Hello lin: How many jars are you thinking of taking? I wouldn't trust them in hand luggage....I've seen customs in USA confiscate jars of peanut butter ...probably baby food would be considered "liquid" too. Do you have any of the cylindrical metal type containers that you sometimes get scotch whisky in when you buy it, and/or polystyrene cylindrical ones that I use to pack bottles of wine in my checked luggage......either of these would hold quite a few small jars of baby food, with basically no chance of them breaking. Failing that, pack them in Tupperware type containers, with balled up newspaper between the jars (great, cheap padding!). I often transport bottles of wine in either one or more of these methods and have never had one break or burst yet in my checked luggage.....(phew!):):) Margaret

Wakefield, Ma
Level Contributor
6,432 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: jarred baby food in your luggage?

Don't they sell this at the Walmart here? If so wouldn't it be worth going there the first day (take a taxi) and getting the weeks supply (get diapers the too) then you wouldn't have to worry about it. Just an idea.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,158 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: jarred baby food in your luggage?

i didn't think they had a walmart in PDC? we are going to grand sirenis and it's a 1.5 hr ride from cancun. I really didn't want to have to go shopping while i am there as it would be very costly to take a cab to just get a few dollers worth of baby food. We are going for 2 weeks and i know it may be hard to get that much in on my luggage but he will need at least 1 jar of a meat combo for every dinner, luncha nd breakfast we can figure out other options as he loved toast and yougart. BUT i want to make sure he gets a nice good dinner to keep him full so he doesn't wake at night due to hunger. I really didn't want to take 14 jarrs onboard but i really don't want to go shopping on my holidays especially that cabs would be expensive.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: jarred baby food in your luggage?

each person is allowed 2 pieces of checked luggage with the allowable limits of weight. Assuming you are traveling with a spouse or other adult, break up the baby food into two separate pieces of luggage.

Going to Walmart from your hotel would be a VERY EXPENSIVE proposition. If you have PRIVATE (Cancun Valet etc) to your hotel, it would be easy enough to get them to make a stop (I dont know what the charge would be but certainly less than taking a taxi to WMT from the hotel - and back). But remember that the selection at WMT might not be the same as at home.

I think you should split the baby food among all the luggage. double-zip lock it and wrap your clothing around it.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
3,414 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: jarred baby food in your luggage?

We took our 8 mth old to Ib maya and brought the jar food and the plastic heinz. WE just wrapped clothes around each jar and had no problem. you could put a sandwich zippy around each one then wrap in clothes to be certain in case one broke your clothes would not be soiled.

They do sell some baby food there as we got some jarred gerber banana food at the airport.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: jarred baby food in your luggage?

Lin, how old is your baby? If he/she is old enough, you might want to bring your own snack foods as well (Cheerios, teething cookies, etc.,) I also brought baby cereal for mine, and pureed fruit, so I had ALOT of baby food, as well as diapers, swimups, wipes, etc. Also, don't forget any medications baby might need. Although there is a Walmart and probably a shop at the hotel, you don't want to have to run out and buy something you might not be familiar with. It is hard enough on the baby being in a different environment and climate, you don't want to change food and flavours on them too. I know at least my kids took a while to get used to the change.