We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa del Carmen Shore Fishing Info?

Endicott, New York
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Playa del Carmen Shore Fishing Info?

Hey all:

I've seen some older posts on this fishing topic, but I wanted to post a new one in hopes of seeing if any of the active PdC fishermen are around the forums these days.

I'll be arriving to Playa del Carmen this Monday (for a family reunion vacation), and my son and I love to fish. We're used to upstate New York freshwater lake/river fishing (walleye, bass, etc.). We really do prefer active casting/reeling vs sitting on a charter boat looking to get a huge fish, that I personally don't have the strength (or interest) to fight.

We're staying at Sandos Playacar, and if I read correctly, it sounded like Sandos was the last big resort, and therefore it's pretty "deserted" south of there - i.e. good for fishing.

My son and I are NOT early morning risers (I work night shift), so the later afternoon fishing interests us most.

We're going out today to look at some new equipment, because I am a little worried we don't have the proper gear to land a potentially big fish (heck, I'd probably just cut the line and be freaking out :)

I'm planning on making nice with the food staff at Sandos and asking them to save raw seafood scraps, shrimps, etc. for us to use as bait.

But, if any of you are local and are looking to meet up with some (non-tourist type) traveler fishermen, hit me up. We'd love to make some new friends! I do speak Spanish (if that matters)

Thanks in advance for any advice/info you may have!

- Lynne

5 replies to this topic
Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
8,273 posts
134 reviews
1. Re: Playa del Carmen Shore Fishing Info?

Good luck with scraps; not worth the effort or time imho. Take a taxi to a local seafood tienda for some shrimp or octopus. I paid < $5 USD for about 3.5 Kilos of octopus for some local kids I was watching in Pto. Vallarta, who were running out of (octopus) bait after about 20 - 30 minutes. It was the best 5 bucks I spent on my entire vacation, and the kids had enough to even come back another day! Although I didn't fish personally, I did 'fish' vicariously while watching them and a few other locals they shared some of the bait with (that's how locals do things in Mexico).

No license is required when fishing from shore in all of Mexico. The only restriction is that you, the fisherman must remain 200m AWAY from anyone swimming. So even if you are there first, and someone comes up and starts swimming in nearby proximity to you, then you will have to move to where you have at least 200m from you to any swimmers.

Taught lines. ¡Diviértanse!

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
13,289 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Playa del Carmen Shore Fishing Info?

You have a good plan to shore fish south of Sandos. Wind typically dies down in the late afternoon. I have seen 4 ft dorados head toward the shore for bait size fish. I would buy gear at Wal Mart and then give it to one of the kids when I left. Whatever!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,218 posts
94 reviews
3. Re: Playa del Carmen Shore Fishing Info?

We have stayed at the same Sandos in the Adult section, and hubby has fished the stretch of beach often. There was once a nasty kite surfing school out in the empty stretch of beach who told my hubby he couldn't fish there. Hubby exchanged pleasantries, and ignored the Sob. There was nobody in the water as far as the eye could see. Hubby gets fresh bait stuff from the Chedraui or Mega. He fly fishes for bone fish from shore as well. Hope you enjoy Sandos and Chayita!

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Playa del Carmen Shore Fishing Info?

Wondering if a permit or license is required for fly fishing from shore? Thanks in advance.

Endicott, New York
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Playa del Carmen Shore Fishing Info?

You do not need a license to fish from shore. As far as I know, the only thing you really need to know is that as a fisherman, we have to stay 250m from anyone swimming in the water. The problem arises when we're there first fishing, and someone comes in to fish.... Guess what? Yup - we have to be the ones to move.

I'm home from the trip now, and I can say that I used shiny spoons as lures and I didn't have any success. The only thing I can think is that I wasn't casting far enough out. I don't know.

The weather/heat was beyond intolerable for me. I wouldn't ever go back to the Caribbean/Mexico during the summer.

Reply to: Playa del Carmen Shore Fishing Info?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted