We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seaweed

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Seaweed

Is there anywhere without seaweed in Cancun or tulum where we can drive?

48 replies to this topic
Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
1. Re: Seaweed

No ... playa del carmen has lost most of its beach due to erosion and the sea weed is terrible.

Traveled to the belize border and the sea weed is everywhere..I you are looking for beach the yucatan is not the place to come..

Great Smoky...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
149 reviews
2. Re: Seaweed

Rebecca; you don't mention when you are coming. Two months or four months from now will give a totally different scenario. No one that I know of can predict sargassum infiltration months ahead of time. Use the search box, above, type in sargassum and educate yourself using hundreds of threads on this topic.

It's not always like this.

Edited: 26 February 2018, 13:05
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Seaweed

Sorry I am here now.

Great Smoky...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
149 reviews
4. Re: Seaweed

Darnit lol. You might get some tips on the following link from OT3:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g15081…

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,875 posts
51 reviews
5. Re: Seaweed

It was horrible last week. Locals still seem to think that it was a bad week but on the flight out of Cancun I could see miles and miles of sargassum heading toward the coast. It's not a week by week issue...and I fear for the future of the Caribbean with this seaweed epidemic.

Level Contributor
74 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Seaweed

It is bad luck being there now with all the sargassum. Is it an option to go to Isla or maybe better luck in Cancun hotel zone perhaps? That stuff is terrible to deal with on the beaches in the area, it must be quite disappointing.

Southern California
Level Contributor
15,456 posts
1 review
7. Re: Seaweed

Maybe try Isla Mujeres Playa Norte? Here is the webcam from Ixchel Beach Hotel, looking pretty darn good:

www.webcamsdemexico.com/webcam-isla-mujeres

Mishawaka, Indiana
Level Contributor
133 posts
284 reviews
8. Re: Seaweed

So I guess I can assume it is as bad in Playacar at RHP?

Florida, US
Level Contributor
18 posts
25 reviews
9. Re: Seaweed

Yes there is lots of sargassum, we are here at RPRM now. Howevwr, it doesn’t smell, beach is still gorgeous and you can swim especially in morning. RPRM guys are doing a yeomans job every day all day cleaning. Judging solely from my (short) walks on the beach, they are doing the best job. But I have not gone very far yet. As a comparison, yesterday it seemed like it was ten feet deep in front of royal hideaway and just a thin line in front of RPRM because of the constant cleaning. But you can’t clean the water and it is in the water everywhere but not nasty in any way. I just push it aside. Swimming more impeded because of winds - red and yellow flags sincewe got here. Great if you’re a kitesurfer! Not so great for snorkelers. Walking/wading along the beach is still pleasant. and the water is still that Caribbean blue and weather is amazing. We don’t come to Mexico with expectation of same beach experience as St. John or 7 mile in Jamaica so not too disappointed. First time at this Riu by the way and really enjoying. Deep soft sandy beach and lots of chairs in shade.

Florida, US
Level Contributor
18 posts
25 reviews
10. Re: Seaweed

Yes there is lots of sargassum, we are here at RPRM now. Howevwr, it doesn’t smell, beach is still gorgeous and you can swim especially in morning. RPRM guys are doing a yeomans job every day all day cleaning. Judging solely from my (short) walks on the beach, they are doing the best job. But I have not gone very far yet. As a comparison, yesterday it seemed like it was ten feet deep in front of royal hideaway and just a thin line in front of RPRM because of the constant cleaning. But you can’t clean the water and it is in the water everywhere but not nasty in any way. I just push it aside. Swimming more impeded because of winds - red and yellow flags sincewe got here. Great if you’re a kitesurfer! Not so great for snorkelers. Walking/wading along the beach is still pleasant. and the water is still that Caribbean blue and weather is amazing. We don’t come to Mexico with expectation of same beach experience as St. John or 7 mile in Jamaica so not too disappointed. First time at this Riu by the way and really enjoying. Deep soft sandy beach and lots of chairs in shade.

Edited: 26 February 2018, 16:51
Reply to: Seaweed
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted