We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

local bus-pesos or dollars

Level Contributor
212 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
local bus-pesos or dollars

When taking the local bus (we are staying at the Hilton), do you pay the fare with pesos? I thought someone posted that it must be exact change. I am assuming that the bus drive does not take US dollars.

Cancun
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: local bus-pesos or dollars

If you use a bill, your change will be in pesos, best to have exact or close to exact change in pesos. They do not accept American coins.

I suggest using pesos for everything in Cancun, it is the national currency after all.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,659 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: local bus-pesos or dollars

Use pesos. It's 6.5 pesos 1 way. You won't get the correct change back, if you use U.S. Bills. Most of the time, they run out of the .50 centavo, to give back.

Level Contributor
212 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: local bus-pesos or dollars

thanks - all of you at TA have been great. I read many of your posts and when we go next week we will be very prepared.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
47,464 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: local bus-pesos or dollars

I am with you CancunCanuk. Why cant people just realize they are in another country and try to use the local currency? I really cant understand that!

columbus ohio
Level Contributor
5,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: local bus-pesos or dollars

Can you imagine Sears or Penneys taking pesos/euros/pounds etc over here? BOTOH, maybe the Mexicans started it by accepting the Almighty dollar

6. Re: local bus-pesos or dollars

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 00:20