We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red Flag Question for the Ocean...

Clemson, South...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Red Flag Question for the Ocean...

My question concerns the red flags they put out on the beach. If I remember correctly that means you can't go out in to the water, correct? I'm going with 6 other guys and we are going to want to body surf and swim in the ocean. Do y'all think this will be a problem on most days at the JW?

I've been to Cancun twice in the past with the most recent being in June of 2000. Me and six other guys are are going back again on July 23 and staying at the JW Marriott. I can't wait!!

Level Contributor
681 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Red Flag Question for the Ocean...

When I was at the Flamingo last year it was a red flag everyday. The lifeguards didnt stop us from going in completly, but if we got to far out theyd whistle. But I will warn you that is is usually really rough if it is red flag.. The current took my friend and she had to be rescured by the lifeguard.

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Red Flag Question for the Ocean...

Red Flag means use extreme caution that there is or may be a very strong undertow.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,441 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Red Flag Question for the Ocean...

I have even encountered black flags on the beach, I was told these are to signify one should use extreme caution like the red flags. I'd say you're better off using the pool if you see a red or black flag flying, just to be on the safe side.

212eric V.P.

PEOPLE'S CHOICE GUIDE Cancun Travel Survey Guide Book

Level Contributor
3,092 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Red Flag Question for the Ocean...

and here I thought they were just flying the red flags for the Chinese tourists

5. Re: Red Flag Question for the Ocean...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 23:20