We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maria Tepoztlan Chocolate at the Cancun Airport

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Maria Tepoztlan Chocolate at the Cancun Airport

I stopped at the duty-free shopping at Cancun Airport and got three bars of chocolate, of the brand Maria Tepoztlan, one vanilla flavored, one dark chocolate and one with peanuts.

Each bar was 11 USD.

The chocolate was inedible.

It tastes like hard wax flavored with chocolate.

I am posting this to check if anybody else had a similar experience.

Fendi Boutique
Gift & Speciality Shops
Boutique Cartier
Gift & Speciality Shops
98 replies to this topic
Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
1. Re: Maria Tepoztlan Chocolate at the Cancun Airport

I've not tried that brand. The price you mentioned shocked me. I did a quick google and came across two articles by people having the same issues as you did. Question.. Is this an eating chocolate or is it possibly a cooking chocolate? Mexico produces several brands of cooking chocolate...that are very difficult to eat. They are designed to be used to make hot chocolate or to be used in sauces like mole.

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Maria Tepoztlan Chocolate at the Cancun Airport

HI 103billw

it does not say anything on the label , whether this is for cooking or just eating.

I emailed the company and I am waiting to hear back from them.

here is the website if you are curious. the chocolate is under products and then chocolate.

http://villavainilla.com.mx/

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Maria Tepoztlan Chocolate at the Cancun Airport

I emailed the company in Merida and here is their reply ( which is not very helpful ) :

Villa Vainilla <info@villavainilla.com.mx> :

thank you very much for your purchase!

Our Xocolat its the original, ancestral and Nahuatl Chocolate recipe, for that reason taste completely different than a commercial American or European MILK chocolate (like Hersheys, Milkyway, Toblerone, Milka, Lindt, etc), our product its an historical experience because doesn't contains milk or other additional sweet flavors. Xocolat its Cacao (more than 70%), Sugar (25%) and regional species twist like vanilla, cinnamon, chili or peanut. Maybe its a bad stocks management of the retail.

We were more than happy to change the product but unfortunately we are not able because USA costume doesn't permit delivery of natural products from Mexico. And money refund its not convenient because its a small transfer and you will pay more fees than the original aomunt. But be sure that during your next your next tip to Mexico you will receive a nice price from us!

Best regards,

Villa Vainilla

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
25,864 posts
9 reviews
4. Re: Maria Tepoztlan Chocolate at the Cancun Airport

Based on their reply, I would guess that it's a matter of expectation/a cultural thing.

There's a similar sort of situation with a confection sold in Holland called "drop" - it's licorice flavoured (seasoned?) with salt instead of sugar. The local kids go mad for it; I think it tastes absolutely vile and if you buy it expecting it to taste like what we know as licorice, you are in for a major disappointment..

To recoup some of your "investment", try melting the Xocolat down, adding something to sweeten it (syrup or a sweet liquer) and possibly adding a little whipping cream and using it as a fondue. (I'm thinking the addition of some cream might make it taste closer to the chocolate your palate is used to.)

Hope this helps and good luck!

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Maria Tepoztlan Chocolate at the Cancun Airport

Thanks for the suggestion. Actually, the chocolate was beyond salvageable, so I had to get rid of it. it was old, and discolored. it was that bad. thanks All.

London, United...
1 post
6. Re: Maria Tepoztlan Chocolate at the Cancun Airport

I have had exactly the same experience. I bought an over-priced ($13.50 for three small bars) pack of Maria Tepoztlan chocolate bars from Mexico City airport on November 13 and agree that the product is completely inedible.

Washington DC...
1 post
7. Re: Maria Tepoztlan Chocolate at the Cancun Airport

Chocolate, as many know, was originally made by the Aztecs (obviously in Mexico). This chocolate is authentic to Mexico and the origin chocolate (like mentioned on the back of the box) However, this brand makes its chocolate using 70% cacao, maybe if you are someone who does not eat too healthy (processed foods) the more bitter taste in this chocolate may seem strange to you...this is chocolate is suppose to taste like! Personally, I love the taste and the authenticity to it. I would recommend it to anyone.

Mission, Canada
1 post
8. Re: Maria Tepoztlan Chocolate at the Cancun Airport

I just got back from Mexico 1 1/2 weeks ago and I also purchased the 3 pack of Maria Tepoztlan chocolate to bring home as gifts. We kept the milk chocolate and gave the dark and chilli ones away. We were wanting a piece of something sweet so we decided to try our bar of Milk after dinner one night. It was the worst chocolate we had ever eaten. It was waxy and had no flavour. My friend received the dark chocolate bar and I was there when she tried it and she took one bite and also stated it was the worst chocolate she had eaten. Although I believe that it might be old stock that the Cancun airport is selling, even old chocolate that is good chocolate, still tastes good. This is not the case with this. Old, waxy, not much flavour. Pass on purchasing chocolate at the Cancun airport.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
146 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: Maria Tepoztlan Chocolate at the Cancun Airport

We just got from San Jose del Cabo and bought one with Chile, another vanilla. It's not expired, but has sandy-rough texture with lots of sugar.

it's true that the only ingredients are cocoa and sugar, however, I doubt that it's 70% cocoa content, it tastes too weak for 70%, and we ate a lot of 70-85% cocoa chocolate in our life from different countries.

It tastes more like not sophisticated 50% baking chocolate, extremely overpriced though.

K K
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
10. Re: Maria Tepoztlan Chocolate at the Cancun Airport

I bought the Maria Tepztlan chocolate last year and it was absolutely disgusting (and no, it's not because, as previous comment suggests, the chocolate is high cacao content lol!!). It tasted like gas/chemical, was extremely waxy. It didn't taste natural at all. The tin foil wrapper under the paper wrapper was literally dirty, with chocolate fingerprints from whomever was wrapping the chocolate. This was incredibly off-putting to say the least. I put some in my mouth and had to spit it out.

It has lovely packaging, thus I'm sure it's getting all kinds of sales. It is not edible and I wouldn't be surprised if an analysis of contents found contents not suitable for human consumption. This is NOT just a matter of taste buds - it's a matter of human health.

Reply to: Maria Tepoztlan Chocolate at the Cancun Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted