We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from Omni Cancun

Boston
Level Contributor
15,119 posts
31 reviews
Just back from Omni Cancun

We just got back yesterday from Omni Cancun. My review of the hotel should show up soon. Overall, we were pleased with the Omni and have good things to say about it. I would also like to thank everyone who posts here for their comments which helped us to make a good choice.

Please feel free to ask any questions about the Omni or anything else and I will do my best to answer!

San Diego
Level Contributor
206 posts
1. Re: Just back from Omni Cancun

I will be heading to the Omni in July with my wife and two children 2 and 6 months. Is there anything (malls, restaurants) etc within walking distance or will it all be a cab ride.

Thanks

Boston
Level Contributor
15,119 posts
31 reviews
2. Re: Just back from Omni Cancun

There are a couple of convenience stores and a McDonald's right opposite the hotel. As for restaurants, you *might* be able to walk to Laguna Grill. Everything else will be a cab or bus ride (and I would say with small children a cab is a better choice.) Keep in mind though, that the Omni has three restaurants on site. I can vouch for the quality of their food.

Texas
Level Contributor
892 posts
3. Re: Just back from Omni Cancun

Yes, the food all all the Omni's restaurants is top notch, but pricey if not going AI. How was the new Jacuzzi bar, Stratton? From the photos, they have completely redone it. It looks great!

Boston
Level Contributor
15,119 posts
31 reviews
4. Re: Just back from Omni Cancun

You know what, I actually didn't end up in the jacuzzi bar but my friend did and he said it was great. It is right next to the beach and had music playing - there are normal "dry" seats on the beach side if you don't want to get wet. I don't remember ever seeing it empty during daytime hours. This bar also serves a limited bar-type menu of snacks.

Simi Valley, CA
Level Contributor
72 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Just back from Omni Cancun

Stratton, I will be going in July. Do you remember around what time the pool areas closed? Also, I heard the pool(s) are deeper than 4ft. Did you notice that they were? I love hotels with fun pools! By any chance, did you stay in a Villa? Thanks.

Monkatom, I will be going as well in July with my husband, my sister and three kids. We will be there July 12 - 17th. When will you be there?

Texas
Level Contributor
892 posts
6. Re: Just back from Omni Cancun

Kwisin - we have stayed in their villas before. Very nice. They have two bedrooms and a loft - all with separate baths and a 1/2 bath just off the kitchen area.

Simi Valley, CA
Level Contributor
72 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: Just back from Omni Cancun

Thanks for the info Dive Girl. We have decided to get the All Inclusive for 3-4 days when we get there b'cuz we figured we get in around 4pm and leave around 3pm on our last day so we have decided to buy the days after we get there. Do you know if a lot of people decide to do that? Also, do you have any yummy drinks you can recommend? I am not going to be drinking a lot as I will have my children with me but Mom has to have a little fun too!!! *->

This is our second trip to Cancun and we can barely wait... we chose Cancun over Hawaii and other popular family hot spots...just love it!

Boston
Level Contributor
15,119 posts
31 reviews
8. Re: Just back from Omni Cancun

Kwisin, I think at least one or two of the pools got deeper than 4 feet. I'm pretty sure the main pool is at least 5 feet deep in places. However, Olympic regulation pools, they're not. You would have a hard time swimming serious laps with all the kiddies around.

I don't know if there is an official "closing time" for the pools. I routinely saw one or two people in them well after sunset. Most people seemed to want to leave the pool at some point and have some dinner :)

I think you were wise to go the AI route. As a previous poster noted, drinks and food at Omni can be expensive. Everyone's taste is different, but my friend and I thought the hotel served a very nice pina colada and mango margarita, so those would be my recommendations. But you can get anything you like, there are no limitiations on top shelf liquor at Omni.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,039 posts
13 reviews
9. Re: Just back from Omni Cancun

I have no idea why the Omni is ranked so low at Trip Advisor. It is a great property and it looks even better after Wilma.

San Diego
Level Contributor
206 posts
10. Re: Just back from Omni Cancun

Stratton we will be there from July 29 to August 5. The hotel seems great and I am defienetely looking forward to staying there. We currently do not have the AI but are planning on trying to purchase when we arrive, if possible?